Private Richard Burgess, 2nd Bt'n (203155)

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Private Richard Burgess, 2nd Bt'n (203155)

Postby MrsC » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:11 pm

Hi. I am trying to find out about my great-great-grandfather Richard Burgess who was, I believe, a Private in 2nd Bt'n (203155). This information I have obtained from the CWGC website.
He was born in Birmingham on 7 Feb 1884, son of Alfred Lloyd Burgess and Dinah Smith. He married Sarah Lilian Coney in Feb 1908 and they had 4 sons. Richard Burgess died on 17 Sept 1920. His wife died a few years previous and their 4 boys were all sent to foster homes.
I wonder if anyone has any information about where he would have served, what he did, when he was discharged or indeed anything at all !! I would be really grateful.
Many thanks.
Mrs C
MrsC

Postby scully » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:20 am

Hi,

Richard Burgess enlisted in to the Army in Birmingham on the 10th December 1915 and was posted to Army Reserves and his papers were stamped "Home Field Service" may be due to his age. His initial army service number was 27087. At the time he gave his age as 31 years 10 months. He was 5 feet 2.5 inches tall. Home address was 2 Back, 60 Ryland Street, Ladywood, Birmingham. He had married Sarah Lilian Coney on the 1st February 1908 at St. Maragrets, Birmingham.

On the 19th June 1916 he rejoined the Colours (the Regular Army) and was posted to the 3rd Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment (his army number was now 34995). He was then attached to the 3rd Battalion Oxford and Bucks. Regiment (21st June 1916). On the 20th August 1916 he was transferred to the 1st (Garrison) Battalion Worcestershire Regiment (his army number was now 35066). On the 21st December 1916 he was transferred to the 7th (Territorial) Battalion Worcestershire Regiment (his army service number was now 6747)

He had 4 children:
George Alfred born 19th July 1908
Richard born 26th September 1911
Frank Stanley born 25th October 1912
Ernest born 21st February 1915 who died at 21 month old on the 3rd December 1916. Died of Brocho Pneumonia and heart failure.

His wife Sarah Lilian died on the 13th November 1918 ( age 28 ), of Influenza and Pneumonia, on her death certificate it showed that Richard Burgess was now serving with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment (his army number was now 203155).

The civilian occupation of Richard Burgess was carpenter (wood turner).

His Medal Index card show that he was award 2 medals, namely the British war Medal and the Victory Medal. He was also awarded the Silver War Badge which would suggest he had been wounded or to ill to serve, he was therefore discharged from the army on the 6th June 1919 stating "No longer physically fit for war service".

Private Richard Burgess died in the U.K. on the 17th September 1920 ( age 36 ).

Hope the above helps,

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby MrsC » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi Louis,

Thank you so very very much for the information you have sent regarding my great grandfather, Private Richard Burgess. I am absolutely thrilled to bits!!!

My grandad, George Alfred Burgess never spoke about his parents and my own father, who sadly passed away a couple of years ago, knew very little about them either so you have really helped me with my research and I am so grateful.

One final thing, do you know whether any photographs would have been taken of my great grandfather and kept on file anywhere when he joined the army and if so, would I be able to obtain a copy? A bit of a long shot I know, but still... worth a try eh?

Once again thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.
Mrs C
MrsC

Postby scully » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:02 am

Hi,

Glad to be of help.

Sorry can not help with any photos.

I have emailed you some information.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby MrsC » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:17 pm

Hi Louis,

Thank you very much for the e-mails and attachments. The copy documents are amazing! I have learnt so much over the past couple of days thanks to you - not only about my great grandfather but my great grandmother too. It was very sad that they lost a child and both died so young. I am really grateful for all of your help.

I have sent an initial message to Regimental Archives at Norton Barracks as you suggested and now eagerly await a response!

Kind regards and best wishes,
Mrs C
MrsC

Postby scully » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi,

Glad to be of help.

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Return to General Enquires