Relatives who served in the Worcestershire Regiment

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Relatives who served in the Worcestershire Regiment

Postby ebender » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:18 pm

I find this website quite fascinating as both my father (Roy Bender) and my grandfather (Harry Heath) served in the Worcestershire Regiment for much of the first half of the 20th century.

My dad began WW2 as an enlisted soldier in the Pioneer Corps but was commissioned an officer in 1944 with the Worcestershires, serving in various theatres - in particular on Lunenburg Heath during the final stages of the European campaign. Back on civvy street, we came to Canada in 1951 and he was the Honorary Representative for the Worcestershire Regiment over here for many years. He passed away in 1989 and is buried in the military section of York Cemetary in Toronto.

My grandfather (b. Worcester, 1881) attempted to sign up for the Boer War but was rejected as being too young. He served throughout WW1 and was awarded the MC as per the Awards section of the website in 1919 -
Heath, H., 240005 R.S.M. 03-06-1919 1/8th France 1918 (general)

After WW1, his association with the regiment continued for another 20 years or so and he was awarded the MBE in 1937 –
Captain (Quarter-Master) Harry Heath, M.C., T.D., 8th Battalion, The Worcestershire Regiment, Territorial Army.

He retired from the Army in late 1938 after serving over 40 years! Harry Heath died in 1958 and is buried in Worcester. Incidentally, his younger brother Leonard Heath also served in WW1 (with the Warwickshires) but unfortunately was killed on July 1st, 1916 at the Battle of the Somme. As a former choirboy, Leonard Heath’s memory is commemorated in a stained glass window within Worcester Cathedral.

Sincerely,
Eric Bender
Kirkland, Quebec, Canada
ebender

Worcesters Heritage

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:45 am

Morning Eric,
That is a rich vein of Worcestershire military history that you have. Thanks for letting us know about it. Since you are not asking any questions, I assume you are simply making us aware of your forebears. My area of study is around the 1st World War, not the 2nd World War. You have helped me with the numbering system prior to 1908. Your Grandfather was a founding member of the Worcestershire Territorial Army. He got the regimental Number 90. Basically he was the 90th man in seniority to join when the Territorial Army was formed in 1908. He must have been a member of the preceedig force, called the "Volunteers". Do you have his number for this bit of his service, please? If I take 40 years off of 1938, did he join in 1898? In 1917, he got re-numbered 240005. So by then he was the 5th most senior man in the 1-8th Battalion.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby ebender » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi Mike:

Sorry, I don't currently have the requested information on Harry Heath's number while with the Volunteers prior to 1908 - if found, I'll forward it on to you. Family lore has it that he signed-up with the Worcestershire Regiment to fight in the Boer War in 1899 but, as he was only 17, his parents managed to convince his C.O. that he was too young to be shipped off to South Africa.

Best regards, Eric
ebender

Return to General Enquires