Which battalion in West Indies in early 1900s?

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Which battalion in West Indies in early 1900s?

Postby mikecole » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:00 pm

I am hoping to find out whatever I can about my grandfather Horace Harry Evan Cole, No. 14597. He was born and lived in Chertsey, Surrey and served in the Regiment probably from the late 1890s until he was injured in the Great War (in 1915 we think). In particular it would help to know in which battalion he served: all we know is that the battalion was in the West Indies and probably the east coast of India sometime in the period approx 1900 - 1914. Any input or suggestions gratefully received!
Mike Cole
mikecole

2nd Battalion

Postby CPLCLIVE » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi
You can get information on Battalion movements on the opening page of this site The 2nd Battalion came home from India in 1912/1913 if you go to BATTALIONS at the top of the opening page as then click on the corresponding years you will get quite a lot of information
All the best
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Postby mikecole » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:09 am

Hi.
Thanks for the pointer! I should have spotted the 'Battalions' button but had been online for rather too long and was a bit glazed!
The 2nd and the 4th Battalions appear likely candidates for my grandfather's service, and I'll see if this leads anywhere.
Mike Cole
mikecole

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:52 am

Hello Mike,
I had been doing some digging since your posting but Clive beat me to it. Yes the 2nd and the 4th Battalions both fit the bill. The 2nd Bn. being in West Indies in 1898, which is 5 years earlier than the 4th Bn.. Your Grandfather joined using the name Henry Cole. Maybe he did not like the name Horace. The Regimental number he got 14507 (Edit,should be 14597, sorry) was issued in August 1914. Definitely not before that date. So his first period of service must have ended before this. Do you know what his first number was? I am sure he went to France with a draft for the 2nd Bn. on the 24th November 1914. This can be confirmed by the Medal Rolls at Kew. These Rolls are not on line yet. You may know but had he gone 2 days earlier (22nd Nov) he would have got a 1914 Star (The Mons Star). It is near the record, to have enlisted in August and been at the Front in November 1914. Allan Parry is the man with the Casualty lists. He has been working on them for about a year now. Maybe he can come up with when Henry/Horace was wounded? Henry was awarded a Silver War Badge because of his wounds. The paperwork that goes with this award has some good information on it. The Regimental Archives at Norton Barracks have this paperwork and for a small donation (I think it is a £10)will reveal all. The donation does go to the upkeep of the archives.
Regards Mike
Last edited by Mike Jones on Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby mikecole » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:36 am

Hi Mike
Many thanks for your digging and for all the interesting information it revealed.
My father does have two of his father's medals, but unfortunately some the family have been less than careful and,although there is some memory of further medals, none can be found. Apparently Horace/Henry did win a swimming medal, we think for swimming 2 miles in the Indian Ocean.

Incidentally, you say that my grandfather's Regimental number was 14507 whereas my father told me it was 14597. Is this a typo on your part or has my father got it wrong?

Meanwhile I will copy the information you have kindly given me to my father (by post, as he is not online!) to see if it allows him to fill in more of the picture.
Regards and Thanks, Mike Cole
mikecole

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:07 pm

Hi Mike,
well done you spotted my "Deliberate" mistake. Your father is right, it was 14597. Henry should have at least three medals and a Silver War Badge, that I know of.
Regards from Mike to Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

MIKE CAUGHT OUT

Postby CPLCLIVE » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:44 pm

Him Mike
Congrtulations you managed to catch Mike Jones outon Regimental numbers you did well because Our Mike is a Demon with Regimental numbers
Clive :lol:
CPLCLIVE

Postby mikecole » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:47 pm

Hi Mike
I'm sure the slight glitch with the number was nothing more than a misplaced finger on the keyboard!
My father was very interested in the information you provided and plans on visiting Kew as he lives at Chertsey, only 10 miles or so away.
From his description of the medal over the phone, it sounds like my grandfather ???/? get a 1914 star, so whether the cut-off date was stretched a bit or he in fact went out at a different time remains to be seen!
As regards his Regimental number, 14597 is the only one we know at present. He was put into Boys Service by his father at age 15 (presumably in 1898), but it is believed that he lied about his age in order to get out of there and into the army early.
Regards
Mike Cole
mikecole

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:53 am

Hi Mike,
The Index Card for Henry is available on "Ancestry" and he got the 1915 Star, having crossed to France on 24th November. When he joined in 1898, he would have got a number between 5100 and 5400. So if you see such a number anywhere on photos or paperwork (For instance) , it could be his original number. It may well be worth checking the Boer War Medal Rolls. He may have got one or more of those as well.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby mikecole » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:34 pm

Thanks Mike.
Will delve and report back anything we discover!
Mike
mikecole

Return to General Enquires