Medal Register and the QSA

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Medal Register and the QSA

Postby QSAMIKE » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:26 pm

Is there anyone trying to keep a register of all regimental medals that come on the market? I have a couple of more QSA's to the regiment and will pass on the information at any time..... I have been doing it for our regimental museum here in Calgary for about 15 years now and a number of people before me have also been keeping their eyes and ears open.

Mike
Capt. M. W. Clare, CD
President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member - O.M.R.S.
QSAMIKE

Medals

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:33 am

Hello Mike,
to cut a long story short, Mike, No there is no one keeping track of what is available on the market. The best people to talk to about medals are at Regimental H.Q. Norton Barracks, there is a link direct to them on the home page of this website. They do have a fabulous collection of Worcestershire medals and all are listed and indexed. They do have at least one Victoria Cross. Let us see if this posting can raise any comments from interested parties.
Regards Mike Jones
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby QSAMIKE » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:53 pm

Thanks Mike:

I have been working with the Lord Strathcona's Horse for many years keep track of the survival rate of the Queen's South Africa Medals that were awarded to the regiment. As you know many members received the Dated QSA. The reason I asked was because a have a couple of QSA's to the Worcestershire Regiment including one with a Tribute Jewel that is not listed in Hibbards book. 4400 (on medal) Lance-Corporal J. Neal, 2nd Volunteer Service Company, but his Worcestershire regimental number was 6844, he was the only member of the regiment to serve in the Composite Cyclist Company. Since there were only 177 of the Jewels awarded it would be interesting to find out their survival rate.

Mike
Capt. M. W. Clare, CD
President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member - O.M.R.S.
QSAMIKE

Return to General Enquires