belize november 05 `951

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

belize november 05 `951

Postby g1hjs » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:45 pm

Its just a qiuck thought as i sit here pondering over old times is there any ex worcesters still about remember catching the plane to the carabbean on November 05 1961
what an adventure I remember it as if it was yesterday.flying into airport camp and seeing only the cookhouse still standing!!!! and how did that RAF Pilot land that plane between those tree, remember camping on the beach in Belize and QSM KANE asking for volunteers to collect the decesed from the hospital!!!!
Also the boat ride to STANN CREEK i ponder on

October 31, 1961

Hurricane Hattie strikes Belize
Hurricane Hattie strikes Belize on this day in 1961, killing more than 400 people and leaving thousands homeless. Almost half of Belize City was demolished by the storm.

The storm that would become Hattie had formed two weeks earlier in the Atlantic Ocean and then moved slowly west toward Central America. When it reached the coast of Belize, known at the time as British Honduras, it was a Category 4 hurricane with sustained winds of 140 miles per hour and gusts reaching 180 mph. It was the strongest storm to hit Belize to date. With accurate weather predictions still in their infancy, an attempted evacuation was only partially successful.

The barrier islands of Turneffe and Caulker Cays were totally submerged by the storm surge. Hattie then brought a 12-foot surge to the mainland, flattening all buildings near the shore. Stann Creek, a small fishing village on the coast near Belize City, was completely destroyed. Following the hurricane, the village was rebuilt and renamed Hattieville.

REGARDS TO ALL

TODDY EX MT PLATOON still alive just!!!!!
served with Worcesters 1961-1970
g1hjs

Return to General Enquires