Badges query

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Badges query

Postby DCLI » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:42 pm

I am new to this regiment and unsure of the badges etc. I have a capbadge which has the pointed star with a scroll underneath which says Worcestershire.

The badge that heads up this website does not have the scroll.

Is this a cap badge?

Thanks
In rememberance of my Great Uncle, Frank E Johnson, of Halesowen, the Worcesters and MGC, who never came back from France in 1918.
DCLI

ww1

Postby CPLCLIVE » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi
What you appear to have is the cap badge of the Worcestershire Regiment which was worn on the cap up untill 1923 when it was changed to the star which you see at the opening page of this site this badge was worn by the Regiment from 1923 untill the regiment was amalgamated with the Sherwood Foresters in 1971 to become the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment it was not worn for a short time in the 1960's when the Mercian Eagle was worn but this was only for a short time and they reversed back to the Star. But last year the Star badge disapered all together when the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters became the second Battalion The Mercian Regiment and they now have once again the Merciam two headed Eagle
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Postby DCLI » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 pm

Thank you very much

I bought it to go with Grt Uncles miniature medals from the Great War.

regards
In rememberance of my Great Uncle, Frank E Johnson, of Halesowen, the Worcesters and MGC, who never came back from France in 1918.
DCLI

Return to General Enquires