Help with Uniform ID

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Help with Uniform ID

Postby pfam09 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:08 am

Can anyone please give me some help with a uniform Identification?
I am told it is from Worcester regiment, (also been told it East yoprkshire) but after researching this site, the collar stars seem correct, but the cap badge, although partly covered, looks like it has a scroll under it. My ancestors photo only recently surfaced, we had all heard that he was in the Royal Navy during WW1, but this proves different. He came to New Zealand after the war and never returned to the UK. His name was Arthur Laurence and was born in 1888. Many thanks in advance for you help.
The photo is on my Flicker site, but for some reason I cannot put the web address in here. But if you go to flickr.com and seach "people" for pfam2008 you will find it. I also have some other WW1 photos on there you may be interested in looking at.
many thanks
Colin
pfam09

Postby scully » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi Colin,

I have had a look at your photo on flickr.com

The cap badge looks like a Worcestershire Regiment cap badge which was used during the First World War and before. If you have a clearer image of the cap badge you should be able to see a LION in the centre of the star if it was a Worcestershire badge. If it was the East Yorkshire Regiment then you would see a ROSE in the centre of the star. Both badges do look similar.

The two collar star badges also look like Worcestershire Regiment badges but the images on them is not clear.

I am not sure about the buttons on his jacket - do you have a clear image of the buttons?

He has a crown insigna at the bottom of his jacket sleeve means he would have been a Warrant Offices Class 2 (possibly a Company Sergeant Major).

The 2 medal ribbons he is wearing are, on the left as you look at the photo is the medal ribbon of the British War Medal (First World War). The other medal ribbon on the right looks like it may be the Allied Victory Medal (First World War).

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Return to General Enquires