Battle of Vimeiro artifacts

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Battle of Vimeiro artifacts

Postby rui » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Hello

My name is Rui Filipe and Im the current curator of the Battle of Vimeiro Visitors center. Recently we have found a relic from the battle related with your glorious regiment, but we cant found anything like it. I think that it is a shako plate (brass?)non-regulamentar or a ammunition pouch plate. It has a crown in the top, a granade in the center with the number 29 and the moto NEC ASPERA TERRENT. I can send some photos if there is a email available. Can someone help us? we would like to put it in desplay with the correct information.

many thanks
Rui
Battle of Vimeiro- Visitors Center
rui

Postby scully » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi Rui,

If you can email photos I will have a look and let you know.

Email to:
webmaster@worcestershireregiment.com

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Vimeiro

Postby rui » Mon May 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi Louis

I have sent some pictures! I hope that can be useful.

Thanks
Rui
rui

Postby scully » Tue May 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi Rui,

Thanks for the email and photo of the badge.

It looks like the cap badge that would have been worn by the Grenadier Company of the 29th Foot.

At the time of Vimeiro (1808) this type of cap badge was worn by Grenadier Companys of all British Regiments. The only difference would have been the number at the centre. In your photo the 29 would have been for the 29th Foot Regiment.

The badge has circular ring with the words "Nec Aspera Terrent" and the Kings crown above. In the centre is a grenade on which the number of the Regiment is stamped.

When I have a little more time I will post your photo of the badge on the website so that others may be able to add more information.

Regards

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby rui » Tue May 05, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi Louis!

Thanks for your research and your help in this matter.
When you came to Portugal please visit our museum in Vimeiro. When we have a internet adress we let the Worcestershire regiment know!

Lets see more opinions about this matter!
Thanks
Rui
rui

Postby Andrew Lord » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:07 pm

Hello Rui

I am particularly interested in the 1808 campaign in Portugal.

Where is the Battle of Vimeiro- Visitors Center? Having visited the battlefield twice, I did not see it.

Thank you

Andrew
Andrew Lord

Battle of Vimeiro

Postby rui » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:01 pm

Hello Andrew

The museum was inaugurated last year, in the 200 years of the battle. Its located in the top of the Hill of Vimeiro. We have 3 showrooms with some exhibitions. Our collection includes relics from the battlefield, maps, dioramas, weapons (all original), etc.

Our email is batalhadovimeiro@gmail.com

We are reciving many visitors from U.K. If you are thinking in visiting us, just send a email and we can make your visit to Vimeiro more plesent. Visiting the museum, visiting the british camp, the house of Wellington, the church, Junot headquarters and more.

Best regards to all members
Rui ?/?
rui

Return to General Enquires