ref my last msg ref B coy 1 worc R

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

ref my last msg ref B coy 1 worc R

Postby colin perry » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:26 am

Sorry it should have read 1967
colin perry
colin perry

Postby scully » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi Colin,

In May/June 1967 the 1st Battalion were at Lathbury Barracks, Gibraltar and were preparing for their next move to Tobruk.
'B' Company Commander was Major A. W. S. Hargrave

'B' Company Plqtoon Commanders were:
5 Platoon - Lieut. N. St. J. D. Ramsden
6 Platoon - 2nd Lieut. T. Chillman
7 Platoon - 2nd Lieut. I. W. B. Thomas
8 (Support) Platoon - Lieut. C. R. Evans

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

B coy 1Worc's 1967

Postby colin perry » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks for that Louis, are you able to be more specific on dates please, was Bcoy the last coy to go to tobruk, i remember i think handing over to the Irish Rangers in Tobruk, i remember being piped onto the plane at El Adem, also i think we flew back to Gib, refuelling in Malta, i am still trying to write my book and need dates,
regards colin :?
colin perry

Postby scully » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:43 am

Hi Colin,

The 1st Battalion moved in to the new Lathbury Barracks, Gibraltar during April 1967. Th official opening ceremony took place on the 30th May 1967. The Guard of Honour was provided by H.Q. and 'B' Company, under the command of Major T. A. Batchelar.

As far as I know 'B' Company moved to Tobruk in July 1967. On the 6th October left Tobruk on the British Eagle Britainnia (at El Adem you were piped on to the plane by the Royal Ulster Rifles) to Gilbratar and the next day boarded again heading for Heathrow.

For more specific details of dates you will need to contact RHQ at Worcester (you will find their contact details on the home page of this website).

Which Platoon were you with?

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Gibraltar

Postby colin perry » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi Louis thanks again, i was in the Mortar section of support pln along with the Anti Tank section.
regards colin
colin perry

Re: ref my last msg ref B coy 1 worc R

Postby humpjoe@hotmail.com » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi I remember whose days..... Lt Ramsdon and Sgt Leighton I was in B Company I remember us going back to the site of the battle outsdie Tobruk Point 187. Thats were the Worc's had the idea of moving the oil drums which marked point 187 on the map a few hundred yards to divert the Italian Arterllery fire ... It worked... My name by the way is Joe Humpage
humpjoe@hotmail.com

Postby colin perry » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:20 pm

hey Joe what pln were you in ?
colin perry

Postby humpjoe@hotmail.com » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:52 am

Hiya Colin Perry..... I was In B Company 5 Platoon in Gibraltar... With Bill and Phillip Hulley (Phillip contacted me recently and now comes over to visit). Cpl Chalky White was Platoon Cpl, LCpl Wofindale and Pte Pepper.. can remember all of them tho. After we left Tobruk, to Bulford I stayed in 3 Platoon for 2 years, Then was B Company Clerk the last 2 months in Bulford, Teleprinter operator with Pte Mick Hodges in Northern Ireland... Then Command Company Clerk in Warminster.. Then HQ staff and Operations staff in Northern Ireland (p.s dont remember exactly if I got me platoon number wright lol)
humpjoe@hotmail.com

Postby colin perry » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi Joe, names i remember but not Hulley,Paul Wolfindale, and george peppers son i do remember,was chalky white the one with the bad elbow, i am off to Gib for the reunion of the worcesters that was out there in 66/67, april 24-25-26-27-28-29-30 this year, should bring back many memories for me,convent guards, four corners, el pulverine, fox and hounds pubs, flicka phillips was our pln sgt(mortars and lottie leighton anti tanks.
colin perry

Return to General Enquires