Grandfather

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Grandfather

Postby KATE » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:15 am

Hello

I am trying to research my family tree, and have information that my late grandfather served in the second world war for the worcestershire regiment. I have also been told that he was in Burma.

I have little information relating to rank or length of service. I do know that when he was still alive, in his much later years he received a medal for his service.

Could anyone help me to find out more information about my grandfather, or direct me to the sites i should be trying.

My grandfathers full name was HUBERT STANTON EASTHOPE. He was born and bred in Kidderminster, Worcestershire and was known as JACK.

Thank you
KATE

Postby malcedwards » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi Kate.

Are you trying to just trace your family tree or are you trying to find out about your Grandfathers war history, or both?
Last edited by malcedwards on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malcedwards

Postby KATE » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi
For this enquiry i am trying to trace his war history. I have found out that he was a private within the army.
A family member seems to think they may some of his medals, and i am hoping that they might have his rank/ collar number also.

Once i have information on my grandfather relating to this i then hope to persue his family tree

kate
KATE

Postby malcedwards » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi Kate.
When i applied for my Dads war records i gave them his name, date of birth and his army number, it still might be worth you applying even if you dont know your Grandfathers number.

The place i wrote to was:

Army Personnel Centre,
Historical Disclosures,
Mail Point 400,
Kentigern House,
65, Brown Street,
Glasgow,
G2 8EX.

I wrote to them first with my enquiry, they then sent back a questionnaire and a certificate of kinship to fill in, there was also a fee of £30, but this may of altered by now, it is worth doing as the information i got back about my Dad was well worth having.
malcedwards

Return to General Enquires