Pre War 2nd Bn. soldier still going !

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pre War 2nd Bn. soldier still going !

Postby irishwarrior » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:13 pm

May I refer to "Photos" ie The Hankow River Guard, China 1934, 2nd Bn.
I would like all ex members and friends of the Regiment to know that "Affleck" (right,back row) is a fairly healthly,soon (22 Apr) to be 94 years old.
He lives in Bangor, Co Down. (since early 1950s)
He would pleased to hear of any ex prewar 2nd Bn comrades.
Anybody who would like information on 2 Worcs. in China or India pre war please let me know and I will relay to Jacques Maurice (Jock) AFFLECK.
N.B. Regimental museum, you should have a photograph of B coy. 2 Worcs. in Amritsar 1937? Jock is the Cpl(right,front row) Would it be possible to load it unto this site ?
Happy new year to all.
irishwarrior

Postby scully » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Hi,

Good to here about that Jock Affleck is well in Ireland at nearly 94.

I have a large collection of photos of the 2nd Battalion in China in the 1930's and hope to put a section on the wesite with the photos soon.

If Jock has any stories of his time with the 2nd Battalion then you can send them by email to me so I can add them to the wedsite later.

email to webmaster@worcestershireregiment.com

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Re: Pre War 2nd Bn. soldier still going !

Postby Ray Whitworth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:46 am

Hello there,

My name is Raymond Whitworth age 40 of Hull now living in New Zealand. I am trying to build up information of what the 2nd Bn were doing in India 1942 and thereabouts. My Grandmothers brother was killed in Madras on 23/9/1942. He was Frederick Coverdale Young number 5258571 I was told he crashed his truck into a river and drowned but his pal got out. I would love to know things like what they were doing there and I can only dream of photo's. I grew up in a Navy Orphanage in Hull but stayed at Grans at weekends and enjoyed the stories and Freds photo in his uniform. Saly when Grandparents died the photo was never seen again. I have 2 sons and 3 daughters very young but very interested too, any information and stories would be a Godsend. many blessings to you and thank you. Raymond Whitworth Grandson of Annie Young, Frends wee sister.
Ray Whitworth

Re: Pre War 2nd Bn. soldier still going !

Postby irishwarrior » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:56 am

Hello Ramond
2nd Bn Worcestershire Regiment, Madras 1942.
I am a "young" 63 year old, however my dear old friend Jock who is approaching 95 is ex Worcestershire Regiment.
He enlisted into the Regiment in 1933 and completed his recruit training at Norton Barracks.
For a brief period he was posted to the 1st Bn. who were stationed on the South coast of England.
Soon after this (1933) he was on a troop ship which stopped at Malta to pick up the 2nd Bn. and take them to China.
After a few years in China the Bn. were moved to India. After war broke out in 1939, the Bn. sent Officers and SNCOs etc. back to England to man additional Bns of the Regiment. Jock then lost contact with the 2nd Bn. Although he,after a few spells with other units went to Burma with Royal Indian Army Service Corps. I detect from your e mail that you have a fairly good knowledge of military matters.
I reccommend that you look at the Worcestershire Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission sites.
In answer to your original query Fred Young and the 2nd Bn. were not in a war zone at the time of his death.
Good luck in your hunt for information.
Billy
irishwarrior

Re: Pre War 2nd Bn. soldier still going !(Has now died)

Postby irishwarrior » Sun May 29, 2011 9:36 am

I regret to report that Major Jacques Maurice AFFLECK (known as Jock) died at the Ulster Hospital (nr Belfast).
He passed away on 20th May, a few weeks after his 95th birthday which was 22nd April.
Jock was born in Finchley on 22 April 1916 and because he wanted to go to China, he enlisted into the Worcestershire Regiment in 1933.
He was with the 2nd Bn in China and India,when war was declared he was posted to UK and posted to 7th Bn as a WO2 (CSM)
On commissioning into the KSLI he was posted to a Herefordshire Regt. Bn. About 1943 he transfered to Royal Indian Army Service Corps and served in Burma.
After VJ day he was involved with POW camps in Wales. In the early 1950s he was in the Army Emergency Reserve (RASC).
At about the age of 55 to 57 he again offered his services to the Crown and served in the Ulster Defence Regiment.
Although he wore many badges he always considered himself proud to be a Worcestershire Regiment soldier first and foremost.
He has donated his body to medical research, so there will be no funeral for some time.
A service of thanksgiving is in planning, which will take place in Bangor, County Down, were he has lived since the 1950s.
His friend
Billy
irishwarrior

Re:

Postby malcedwards » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:09 pm

scully wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Good to here about that Jock Affleck is well in Ireland at nearly 94.
>
> I have a large collection of photos of the 2nd Battalion in China in the
> 1930's and hope to put a section on the wesite with the photos soon.
>
> If Jock has any stories of his time with the 2nd Battalion then you can
> send them by email to me so I can add them to the wedsite later.
>
> email to webmaster@worcestershireregiment.com
>
> Regards,
>
> Louis (webmaster)

Hi Scully

I was searching through the old posts and spotted this one, did you ever put on the large collection of the 2nd Battalion photos that you mentioned in this post, the reason i'm asking is because my father was in China and India with the 2nd Battalion at this time and i would love to see these photos incase he is on one of them.

Regards
Malcolm.
malcedwards

Return to General Enquires