Pte.Harry Parsons 7266 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pte.Harry Parsons 7266 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment

Postby maverick1829 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:56 pm

Dear Members.

I am hoping somebody will be be able to tell me a bit more about my Great Grandfather, Pte. Harry Parsons 7266, 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, Killed 22nd of October 1914.

I have only been able to find out limited information, I believe he was killed during the Battle of Langemarck, 21-24 October 1914.

I was also hoping somebody could tell me his parents names as this information have been lost over time within my family. I would be extremely grateful for any further assistance, and I am extremely proud that he was part of the Worcestershire regiment.

Kind regards

Matthew Williams (Great Grandson)
maverick1829

Postby allanp » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi Matthew

I have found a reference in the 2nd January 1915 edition of the Worcester Herald of:-

7266 Pte H. Parsons - Killed in Action

If you check on Ancestry you may be lucky and find Harry's service record. You can also visit the National Archive website and for £3.50 PlumPudding his medal record card.

THE BATTLE OF LANGEMARCK

At dawn on October 22nd the enemy opened a furious bombardment, and the work of completing the trenches was continued under a rain of shells and bullets. The enemy's infantry had been reinforced and made several attempts to get forward, but each time they were beaten back by the musketry of the British battalions, who held their ground all day in spite of a heavy bombardment from the German howitzers. The trenches dug overnight provided adequate cover and the actual casualties were not heavy ,bnt the constant concussion of bursting shells in all directions
made the defence of the position most trying. As darkness fell, the enemy's infantry swarmed from their trenches and charged. The main force of the attack struck against the left of the Brigade line. There the Oxfords and the Highland Light Infantry succeeded in holding their ground, and the Worcestershire had small difficulty in driving back by "fire the enemy on their front. Night fell, but the bombardment and the attacks did not cease, and firing continued intermittently all through
the hours of darkness.

Hope this helps

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

cwgc details

Postby Simon_Fielding » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:20 pm

Name: PARSONS, HARRY
Initials: H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment Service: Worcestershire Regiment
Unit Text: 2nd Bn.
Date of Death: 22 10 1914
Service No: 7266
Additional information: Husband of Florence Parsons, of 3/60, Woodcock St., Birmingham.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave Memorial Reference: Panel 34.
Memorial: YPRES MENIN GATE MEMORIAL
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

sdgw

Postby Simon_Fielding » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:21 pm

Harry Parsons
Birth Place: Rugby, Warwicks
Residence: Birmingham
Death Date: 22 Oct 1914
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Birmingham
Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment
Battalion: 2nd Battalion
Number: 7266
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

1911 census

Postby Simon_Fielding » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:26 pm

Name: Relationship to head: Marital Status: Years married: farming: Age in 1911: Occupation: Where born:
PARSONS, HARRY HEAD M 30 IRON FILER CLIFTON COTTAGE RUGBY STAFFS

PARSONS, FLORENCE WIFE MARRIED 3 YEARS F 34 THOMAS ST ASTON WARWICK

PARSONS, DORA FLORENCE DAUGHTER F 2 ALMA ST ASTON WARWICK

PARSONS, ALMA GLADYS DAUGHTER F 18 MONTHS MATT ST BHM WARWICK

PARSONS, EIZEBTH KATE DAUGHTER F 2 MONTHS LOVEDAY ST BIRM WARWICK

PARSONS HARRY (RG14PN18102 RG78PN1097 RD384 SD3 ED42 SN238)

Address 2 BACK 12 LOVEDAY ST BIRMINGHAM County Warwickshire
District Birmingham Subdistrict St George
Enumeration District 42 Parish Birmingham
Simon_Fielding

Thank you

Postby maverick1829 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:06 am

Dear fellow members.

I appreciate the time you have all taken.

And I thank kindly.

Kind regards

Matthew.
maverick1829

Postby Kevin Lynott » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Matthew,
Brief details of the 2nd Worcs aroundabout the 21st to 22nd October
The Germans were closing in on Ypres from the north-east and south east, the British High Command were determined to hold on to Ypres, not least because it was a major junction for roads in the area, but it was the last remaining large Belgium town still in the Allies hands. The 21st October was the opening day of the Battle of Langemarck which was a minor British offensive to push out from Ypres. The Bn was to the north of St Julien on the Langemarck-Zonnebeke Road and advanced north east, the Bn suffered heavy casualties as it crossed the Langemarck-Zonnebeke Road and were forced to halt and dig-in.

Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Return to General Enquires