I'm researching my maternal family tree-need help with grand

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

I'm researching my maternal family tree-need help with grand

Postby harriesaj » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:47 am

Hello. Where do start researching my grandfather, who served in 1914-18 with the Worcester regt. Little is known about him as he died prematurely in the 1940's?
His name Walter Spencer Harris, from Gloucester.
Thanks
harriesaj

Re: I'm researching my maternal family tree-need help with g

Postby scully » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:46 am

Hi,

Found a Private Walter Spencer Harris army number 15782. He landed in France with the Worcestershire Regiment on the 11th July 1915. He was later transferred to the Labour Corps due to the fact that he was not fit to serve in the front line, possibly due to wounds. His army number in the Labour Corp changed to 654616. He was awarded the following medals, British War Medal, Victory Medal and the 1915 Star Medal.

The National Archives at Kew hold the Medal Rolls which should give more details and show which Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment he served in. The Medal Roll reference numbers to quote at Kew to look up his details are below.
British War Medal and Victory Medal are on Medal Roll LC 101 B266 Page 27102
1915 Star Medal is on Medal Roll LC 29 C2 Page 167 / 29.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Re: I'm researching my maternal family tree-need help with g

Postby harriesaj » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:12 pm

Thank you SO very much. I'm quite overwhelmed now thinking of the possibilities to follow, after so many 'dead ends'.
I must say I'm most impressed with this clever, thoughtful and dedicated site and also your prompt helpful reply.
Many,many thanks again and best wishes.
Sincerely,
Andy Harries
harriesaj

Return to General Enquires