Researching H.M. 29th Regiment of Foot in Boston, 1770

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Researching H.M. 29th Regiment of Foot in Boston, 1770

Postby Boston1770 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:08 am

Dear Members of the Forum and Esteemed members of the Worcestershire Regiment,

My name is Gregory Theberge. I am a member of the recreated 63rd Regiment of Foot as it saw service in the American colonies during the American War for Independence. We are a group of highly dedicated historians and researchers who strive to achieve absolute authenticity in our interpretation and recreation of the British soldier.

We are currently in the process of researching the uniform of H.M. 29th Regiment of Foot as it appeared in Boston from the years 1768 - 1770. As many of you know, the 29th was involved in a little incident in this town on March 5, 1770. Every year, the Bostonian Society hosts a recreation of the infamous "Massacre" which draws large crowds of spectators. Unfortunately, the 29th Foot has never been properly represented at this event. In fact, it has NEVER been represented at this event.

Fortunately, this major oversight is to be changed next year. Due to our reputation of historical accuracy, we have been asked to recreate the 29th Regiment of Foot as it appeared in March of 1770. This recreation will include hand sewn uniforms of authentic reproduction cloth as well as accurate copies of the accoutrements carried by the British soldier. It is our sincerest intention to properly represent this fine Regiment and tell the true story of that fateful night (and the days leading up to it) so that the honor of the 29th will be properly maintained.

With that in mind, we are in the process of accumulating any bit of information we can get our hands on that sheds some light on the uniform of the Battalion Companies and Grenadier Company of the 29th as they appeared in 1770. It is apparent that the uniform of the Regiment was in transition from that which was to be enforced by the Warrants of 1768. If Paul Revere's engravings (of the Massacre, and of the Landing of the 14th and 29th Regiments of Foot in Boston) can be considered somewhat accurate, we can see that the style of clothing slightly differed from that of the British army at the start of the American Rebellion.

The question I have to all of you is whether or not there is any information anyone can provide that will help us in our endeavor? Does the orderly book for the 29th exist for this time period? Any and all information on this subject would be most gratefully appreciated.

It is our sincerest intention that this project of ours will be something the Worcestershire Regiment will be proud of. I give you my word that you have one of the most, if not THE most, group of dedicated individuals working on this project.

I thank you in advance for your time and any assistance you can provide.

I remain, your humble Servant,

Gregory Theberge
Boston1770

Return to General Enquires