William "Bill" Johnston

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

William "Bill" Johnston

Postby D.W.Johnston » Sun May 01, 2011 11:59 pm

I was wondering if anyone could help me with information about my father "Bill" Johnston (14425773 Pte. W. G. T. Johnston). Unfortunately he passed away in 1976 when I was only 11 or so and although the memories I have of my father are like those of any child, I didn't really know much about "Him".

I know he served with the regiment during the war and was mentioned in dispatches, I have found the letter sent by the government and on this website in the page about MiD I can find his name (although sadly misspelled as Johnson). However much beyond that is a mystery to me, does anyone alive still remember him? ... is there any way I can find out more about what he did in the Regiment? ... Does anyone know why he was Mentioned in Dispatches?

My mother didn't like talking about the War and sadly with her passing I have no one to ask about my father or his time in the army.

If anyone knows anything ... please don't hesitate to post here or message me. Even if you could tell me where I could find more information it would be a great help!

Thank you

David W. Johnston
D.W.Johnston

Re: William "Bill" Johnston

Postby scully » Mon May 02, 2011 1:20 am

Hi David,

I have cheched and found a Private W. Johnston on a list of men who served with 'B' Company of the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. His mention in despatches was with a group of 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment who were awarded a MID for actions sometime during June to August 1944. As a relative you should be able to get hold of your fathers service records via the veterans-uk website.

Thanks for pointing out the spelling error on his name in the MID section of this website. I will update it as soon as I can. Also I have noticed an error in his number - the last digit should be a 3. I will amend that also.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Re: William "Bill" Johnston

Postby D.W.Johnston » Mon May 02, 2011 1:40 am

Thanks for your help Louis, even knowing he was in 'B' Company is more than I had before, I will try and get hold of his service record and see if that tells me any more!
D.W.Johnston

Return to General Enquires