Fall of Tobruk 1942

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Fall of Tobruk 1942

Postby LindaNewey » Sun May 15, 2011 3:33 pm

My grandfather was taken POW at the fall of Tobruk, a private in the Worcestershire 1st Battalian, and was POW first at Compo 60 Italy then Stalag XIB Germany. He was also Batman to Captain GC Burke,
I would be interested to share information with anyone with links to any of the above.
LindaNewey

Re: Fall of Tobruk 1942

Postby humpjoe@hotmail.com » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi, I was in the Worcestershire Regiment...( after the war I might add)... I was in B Company .. and we was deployed there in Sept'ish 1967.. Lt Ramsden was Platoon commander and Sgt Leighton.. was our Sgt . we visited the areas of the battle that the Worcestshire Regt was involved in. The trenches were still there as were ammo ... we did find the front line of the battle. The officer in charge at the time took photos, but lost his camera at the time, he even went back after the war to find it, but didnt. It was very close to the map reference point 187...... because during the battle, as it was explained by Lt Ramsden, the Worc's moved the oil drums which marked point 187 ( you can still look at maps on google and find point 187 today) a hundred yards from their position to frow off the Italian Artellery. We was also camped in the Barracks on top of the hill in Tobruk, although most of it was rebuilt after the war, it was still in the same place. There was a film fruit=fter the war about the fall of Tobuk, which has the actual camp in the training
humpjoe@hotmail.com

Return to General Enquires