Charles Maximilian Thomas Western

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Charles Maximilian Thomas Western

Postby ClaireC » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:43 pm

First of all, what a wonderful website – I can’t believe how much information is on here, absolutely fascinating!

I have an enquiry about my great-great-great-great-grandfather, Charles Maximilian Thomas Western. Various websites state that he was a Lt Col in the 18 Hussars, but I’m not sure that this is correct. I'm not sure how best to check.

I have found a Charles Western who served in the Peninsular War with the 29th Foot Regt. from 1809 to 1816. He was a Lieutenant then made a Captain around 1814 / 1815.

Do you know whether there any way of checking whether this is the Charles Western I am looking for? My ancestor was born in 1790, married Harriet Clarke in Portugal in 1813, had 4 children born in Portugal between 1815 and 1820 and a fifth in England in 1824, and died in 1824.

I would be most grateful for any help. Thank you very much!
ClaireC

Re: Charles Maximilian Thomas Western

Postby corona » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi ClaireC,
All the information you require can be found by logging on to GOOGLE.
Enter Charles Maximilian Thomas Western 29th Foot and search the entries.
His military history/ biography is set out in great detail including the Worcestershire Regimental connection.
Regards,
corona
corona

Postby ClaireC » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi Corona,

Thanks I had already seen that website, but they are assuming that the Charles Western from the 29th Foot was the same one that was born 1790 and married Harriet Clarke etc. There can be a LOT of mis-information on genealogy websites! For that reason, I was hoping that there might be some original army records that could confirm the link.

Thanks,
Claire
ClaireC

Postby corona » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi Claire
The Medal Roll for the award of the Penninsular War small Army Gold medal for the Battle of Salamanca, lists Major Charles Western(Lt. 29th Foot) and serving with the 8th Cocadores. He would not have received the Military General Service medal for the Penninsular as it was only issued as late as 1848.
The London Gazettes for the period 1807 - 1820, lists the following:-
Charles Western Gent, to be Ensign 6th Foot - 17. 3. 1807
Ensign Charles Western from the 6th Foot to be Lt. in the 29th Regt of Foot
18th Lt Dragoons (Hussars) Capt. Charles Maximilian Thomas Western from half pay to be Capt. 2. 12. 1820
There's an article in the Portuguese Military magazine - Revista Militar, listing British officers in the Portuguese army 1809 - 1814 and listing their military history. The article can be found on Google by entering 'Charles Maximilian Thomas Western 29th Foot', then going to Item 2 on Page 2 - Revista Militar. Click on 'translate' and the article will be translated into English
Regards
Corona
corona

Postby ClaireC » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:06 pm

great, what an amazing amount of information - thank you so much! I can hardly take it all in! Will have to go and investigate, read and digest... that is absolutely invaluable, thank you so, so much for all of that!
ClaireC

Return to General Enquires