Help! I'm trying to trace my Great Grandfather Private 8393

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Help! I'm trying to trace my Great Grandfather Private 8393

Postby smithjl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:31 am

Hi,

I am trying to trace my Great Grandfather - Arthur Smith Private 8393 from the 2nd Bn., Worcestershire Regiment. I know that he died 20/09/1914 (information on this website says 1915 - but it was 1914!) I have no records whatsoever like DOB, place of Birth etc. I have tried to get a copy of a death certificate from the General Register Office but because it was overseas its proving difficult! If anyone has any help or hints as to finding out about my Great Grandfather, myself and my Father would desperately love to know as we are useless!!

Thanks

Joanne :lol:
Joanne Smith
smithjl

Postby scully » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:45 am

Hi Joanne,

I did a little research for you and have found the Death Certificate GRO Index reference details you will need to order a copy of Private Arthur Smith (8393) death certificate (he was age 29 when he died of wounds). The reference details you need to quote are:

Deaths , GRO WAR DEATHS ARMY OTHER RANKS (1914 to1921) 1914 - 1921.
Name = Arthur Smith
Rank = Private
Number = 8393
Unit = Worc.
Year = 1914
Volume = I. 55
Page = 134

You can order a full death certicate from the General Register Office (GRO) at:
Certificate Services Section
General Register Office
PO Box 2
SOUTHPORT
PR8 2JD

Tel. 0845 603 7788

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:10 am

Hi Joanne,

I checked the 1891 Census and it seems that Arthur Smith was born at Tipton, Staffordshire, also his father was already dead in 1891 and the family was living with his grandmother Matilda Millington. Below is a copy of the 1891 Census for you for you (Arthur was age 6 in 1891):

The details below show: Name - Relationship to Head of Household -Condition - gender - Age - Profession/Occupation - Where Born

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MILLINGTON, Matilda - Head - Widow - Female - 77 - Living On Her Own Means -
West Bromwich, Staffordshire.
SMITH, Elizabeth - Daughter - Widow - Female - 40 - Tipton, Staffordshire
SMITH, Matilda - Granddaughter - Single - Female - 20 - Tailoress - Tipton, Staffordshire.
SMITH, Rosa - Granddaughter - Single - Female - 18 - Tailoress - Tipton, Staffordshire
SMITH, Charles - Grandson - Single - Male - 15 - Painter - Tipton, Staffordshire
SMITH, Maud - Granddaughter - Single - Female - 8 - Scholar - Tipton, Staffordshire.
SMITH, Arthur - Grandson - Single - Male - 6 - Scholar - Tipton, Staffordshire.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1891 CENSUS REFERENCE DETAILS
RG number: RG12
Piece: 2290
Folio: 13
Page: 19

Registration District: Dudley
Sub District: Sedgley
EnumerationDistrict: 26
Ecclesiastical Parish: Christ Church Coseley

Civil Parish: Sedgley
Address: 58, Bradley Lane, Sedgley, Brierley

Regards,

Louis
Last edited by scully on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:27 am

Hi Joanne,

I think I may have found the reference details for your great grandfathers marriage certificate. But I need to check a few things with you first:

Was your great grandmorthers maiden name Mary Ann Hardy ?

Do you know the full name and date of birth of your grandfather?

If you can let me have a little more information I will check further for you. If you prefer you can email me direct.

Regards,

Louis
Last edited by scully on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:16 am

Hi Joanne,

Did a little more research on your family tree and came up with the following:

Your Great Great Grandfather was Elijah Smith, born in 1844 at Tipton, Staffordshire. His occupation was Roll Turner at Iron Works. He died in 1889 aged 46. He married to Elizabeth Millington in 1867.

Your Great Great Great Grandfather was Thomas Smith, born in 1797 at halesowen, Worcestershire. His occupation was Roll Turner at Iron Works. Died in 1866 age 68. He married Mary ????

It is interesting to note that your Great Grandfather Arthur Smith was also a Roll Turner at Iron Works.

It is also interesting to note that the family lived in Sedgley through the generations. The 1861 Census shows the family living at Bradley Lane, Sedgley and the 1891 shows the family also living at Bradley Lane, Sedgley. The 1881 Census shows the family living at High Street, Sedgley.

This should help with your family tree.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for your email with information. I have sent you an email with more information.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Return to General Enquires