Problems with the Smiths'

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Problems with the Smiths'

Postby Bill Hyde » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:31 pm

My Granddad fought at Galipoli and I am fairly certain he was a Pte Richard Smith 19419 of the 4th Battalion Worcs, and later the Cambridge Reg. I can not prove this because I can not get a confirmation that he lived at No; 11 Round St, Netherton, Dudley. So far I have not been able to get his service records because The National Archives don't seem to do many Smiths' Has anyone cracked the problem with Smiths'. I am told that there was a election in 1919 that might have helped me. Apparantly if my granddad was still servicing in 1919 (some soldiers didn't get demob until 1920) he should have been registered as a serving soldier at that address which would help me however the 1919 election results are stored at Worcester and I have no means of checking this. Can anyone help?

Bill Hyde
Bill Hyde

Re: Problems with the Smiths'

Postby allanp » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi Bill

What you are looking for is the Absent Voters List. If you contact the local library that covers Netherton and give them the address and name of your relative, they will check to see if they match. I did this with my Grandfather and it gave his regiment and his number. They do charge for this service, it cost me about £10, but it was worth it as I also found information about my Great Uncles who were also serving, the youngest I did not know about.

I have also checked the Casualty Lists but Richard is not mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Re: Problems with the Smiths'

Postby corona » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi Bill,
There is no RICHARD SMITH living at 11, ROUND ST. NETHERTON, DUDLEY ,either on the 1901or 1911 Census.
A Frank and Mary Ann Smith ,however ,plus various other family members,are recorded on both.
Regards,
corona
corona

Return to General Enquires