private Herbert Henshaw 1863

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

private Herbert Henshaw 1863

Postby emuhtap » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:45 pm

I have an ancestor who was named Herbert Hanshaw in the 29th Foot in 1861 - he is listed at Farnborough North Camp Barracks in the 1861 Census, where his age is given as 16 and his birthplace is Nottingham. In 1863 he fathered a child in Glasgow and subsequently disappeared from all UK census records. Historical information says the 29th foot returned to UK from India and Burma in 1859. Would they have reason to be in Glasgow in 1863? Did the regiment keep records at that time of marriages of men? Since they were from all over England and Ireland, did their wives and children move to be near them at their barracks or did they send their wages back home to their dependents?
I know this is a long time ago, but I am hoping someone with a knowledge of history can help. If this man died in an accident or due to illness, whilst a soldier, would that fact be recorded by the regiment? If he left the army would the date of his leaving be recorded in some records which still exist?
Our family would be so pleased to find any information.
emuhtap

Re: private Herbert Henshaw 1863

Postby scully » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi,

The 29th Foot were posted to Glasgow in May 1862 and in May 1863 the Regiment left Glasgow and sailed to Dublin on route to Curragh. In 1865 (June) the Regiment left Ireland for Malta and on the 2nd July 1867 the Regiment sailed to Canada on board the ship H.M.S. Tamar.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Re: private Herbert Henshaw 1863

Postby emuhtap » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Thankyou very much for that reply. It is extremely helpful as he may have married the Glasgow mother of his child later in Ireland. If anyone else can furnish more help I would be very grateful.
Kind Regards and many thanks.
emuhtap

Return to General Enquires