Information about my Grandad

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Information about my Grandad

Postby Curious? » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:08 am

Dear All,

Charles Henry Harling (13613)

I am at the early stages of investigating his career in the army and desperate to find out all I can. As far as our family stories go, he either started in 1st Battalion and was later transfered to the 2nd or it may have been the other way around! I think he enlisted in 1914 and again rumours go that he was underage, other than that his early career is coming up blank within the family. I do know that he was in Sialkot in the late 30's, early 40's as my Dad was born out there. I don't know if this helps, but he was in the cricket team at some time.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rachel
Curious?

Re: Information about my Grandad

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:13 am

Hello Rachel,
Welcome to Louis Scully's Worcestershire Forum, I am sure someone will be along soon to help you. My money is on Corona. First though, please, how do you know Grandad's number was 13613 ? If he stayed in the regiment after 1920 he would have been re-numbered with a much higher number.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby corona » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:41 am

Hi Rachael,
Cpl. CHARLES HENRY HARLING WORCESTERSHIRE REGT.
Awarded the 1914-15 Star, War and Vitory Medals.
1st.Theatre of War FRANCE 7/3/1915.
No Service or Pension records for the WW1 period appear to have survived.
If his service continued post war then his records would still be with the M .O .D.
Regards,
corona.
corona

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi Rachel,
I had to look up my very sophisticated filing system (Actually random bits of paper all over the house) to find your grandfather's likely new number. The Worcetershire Regiment in 1920 went from Regimental numbers (Like 13613) to ARMY numbers. Which were seven digits long. The Worcesters got allocated the numbers from 5239001 to 5328000. The first number 5239001 went to our longest serving soldier C/Sgt Charles Fowler, who enlisted in 1897 and was still in. If you grandfather stayed in he would have got around 5239500. Do you have any paper work with such a number on ?
Well done Corona, I knew I could put my money on you ! There is at least one other medal though, anyone know?
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Curious? » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi men,

Thanks very much for your help.

I only found out that his original number was 13613 from his medal record. I managed to find out that he was awarded medals as a Private and again as a Corporal Lance Serjeant from the National Archives but can't find out when or what?

Yes he did stay in in the army until after WW2 and unfortunately he destroyed everything he had records wise and I have absolutely no idea what his newer regt number would have been.

Have you any idea how I would find out what his number would have been?

How easy is it to get his records from the MOD and what do I need to do?

Rachel
Curious?

Postby Mike Jones » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:49 am

Hi Rachel,
The surname Harling appears to be a London based name. I cant find a birth that fits the bill of Charles Henry Harling. Where and when was he born ?
With regard to getting Grandad's records if he stayed in after 1920, it could not be easier. Just put "M.O.D. records" in your Google/Yahoo/Whatever search box and up it all comes.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby scully » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi Rachel,

I have found details of a Charles Henry Harling (13613) listed with the Worcestershire Regiment.

Entered the Theatre of War 7th March 1915, landing in France.

In 1915 he was a Private and later became a corporal.

He was awarded the Military Medal (M.M.) during the last year of the First World War (London Gazette date 29th March 1919). At the time he held the rank of Sergeant.

He was promotted to the rank of Company Sergeant Major on the 14th January 1927.

In 1928 he was serving with the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.

In 1928 he was a member of the Regimental Cricket Team (I have a team photo photo which includes him - I will email you a copy).

On the 8th February 1935 he was promotted to Regimental Sergeant Major in the 2nd Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment.
On the 21st July 1937 he was presented with the Coronation Medal - at the time he was with the 2nd Battalion at Sailkot, India (now part of Pakistan).
He was still with the 2nd Battalion in 1938 and 1939. I am not sure about his new number but the Regimental Archives should know.

I am sure if you contact the Regimental Museum they should have more information on him. You will find the Regimental Archives contact address on the home page of this website.

Hope this helps,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi Rachel,

I forgot to mention in my last reply that he was serving with the 1/7th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in Italy in 1918 when he was awarded the Military Medal, he was then acting sergeant. He was awarded it for bravery at the BATTLE OF VITTORIO VENETO on the 24th to 30th October 1918.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:01 am

Hi Rachel,

information on the battle where he won his M.M.

BATTLE OF VITTORIO VENETO.
Next morning (24th October 1918) all along the line the Allied artillery opened a systematic bombardment. The great offensive had begun. It was not part of the plan that any attack should be made on the Plateau, and so for some days the troops of the 48th Division remained quiet, whilst the guns thundered continually, and good news of progress came in at intervals from the South. On 28th October 1918 the 144th Brigade relieved the 145th Brigade in the left sector of the Divisional front. The two Gloucestershire Battalions of the 144th Brigade took over the front line, with the 1/7th Worcestershire in support. Next night (October 28/29th) troops of the 143rd Brigade raided the Austrian trenches at Sec and found them empty. The enemy had withdrawn.
Orders came to gain touch with the enemy in their new position, and the 144th Brigadeordered one company of the 1/7th Worcestershire to go forward as advanced guard. "A" Company (Captain Prescott took with him two platoons of " C " Company in place of two of his own platoons which had been engaged in other work.) was selected, and under- command of Captain Prescott pushed forward on the evening of October 29th. After a difficult advance of over two miles, in pitch darkness across the enemy's abandoned trenches, Captain Prescott's little force reached at dawn (October 30th) the ruins of Camporovere. On the far side of that village they were fired on and held up. Captain Prescott disposed his platoons around the village and prepared to hold his ground. Daylight showed the enemy strongly posted on the dominating height beyond the village. The Austrians opened a hot fire with rifles, machine-guns and trench mortars. The Worcestershire platoons took such cover as was available and returned the fire. The fight raged all that day with varying fortune. One of the Worcestershire platoons became involved in a hand-to-hand fight in the village and was badly cut up by superior numbers of the enemy. The subaltern (2/Lieut. E. K. Wenham) was wounded and captured, and several of his men were killed. But superior numbers did not ensure success to the enemy in every case. A group of twelve Austrians attacked Sergt. W. B. Marchant and Pte. W. Hudson. The two isolated Worcestershire soldiers charged with the bayonet. Three of the enemy surrendered and the others fled (Sergt. Marchant and Pte. Hudson were awarded the M.M. The M.M, was also awarded to Sgt. G. V. Jackson and Sgt. C. H. Harling).

When darkness closed down, Captain Prescott's force was still holding firm to their positions of the morning. The rest of the Brigade had closed up behind them. "B" Company of the 1/7th Worcestershire took over the position at Camporovere, and Captain Prescott took his men back to rest (Captain Prescott's force marched back to the former British trenches. For his gallantry in this fight Captain Prescott was awarded a 2nd bar to his M.C.).

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Curious? » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:08 am

Dear Louis,

Thank you so very much for the information and photos that you've provided, it has all been a great help. I was only 6 when he died but even then he made a big impact on my life.

Thank you again for giving me this boost on the ladder to finding out more about him

Rachel
Curious?

Return to General Enquires