CSM WILLIAM WILLIAMS, (4584)2nd Battalion

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

CSM WILLIAM WILLIAMS, (4584)2nd Battalion

Postby RonStead » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:52 am

I have just started to look at my grandfathers military history and as a novice don't know where to start!! Any pointers would be helpful. I am interested in trying to find out more about the actions that he may have fought in and in trying to plot his rise from private to CSM. He was killed in November 1914 in Ypres after the action at Gheluvelt Chateau. He also served in the Boer War,in the west Indies and in Calcutta. I'm particularly interested in the latter as I'm going there soon and it would be good to visit places the regiment might have been.How do I fond out the reasons why the regiment was posted to such spots?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Ron Stead
RonStead

Re: CSM WILLIAM WILLIAMS, (4584)2nd Battalion

Postby corona » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi Ron,
The 1911 Census lists COLOUR SERGEANT WILLIAM WILLIAMS, 2ND WORCESTERS ,JHANSI, INDIA. BORN BOLTON,LANCS.ENLISTED BURY, LANCS.
His Medal Card records 4584 CSM/WO11 WILLIAM WILLIAMS, D of W 10/11/1914.Award the1914 STAR and Date Clasp, WAR and VICTORY MEDALS.
THE C .W .G. C. Record showS Son of MR AND MRS WILLIAMS of BOLTON, LANCS.and husband of Annie 3, STATION ST. SALTBURN , YORKS.
Most of the information can be seen on ANCESTRY and this great site has details of the 2nd Batt.locations pre WW1.
Regards.
corona
corona

Postby corona » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:31 pm

For service in the Boer War he was awarded the following:-
QUEEN'S S. AFRICA MEDAL CLASPS WITTERBERGEN, CAPE COLONY, TRANAASVAL.
KING'S S. AFRICA MEDAL CLASPS S.A 1901 S.A 1902.
corona
corona

Postby RonStead » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:07 pm

corona wrote:
> For service in the Boer War he was awarded the following:-
> QUEEN'S S. AFRICA MEDAL CLASPS WITTERBERGEN, CAPE COLONY, TRANAASVAL.
> KING'S S. AFRICA MEDAL CLASPS S.A 1901 S.A 1902.
> corona
Thanks Corona, I shall have a look at the Ancestry site. Ron
RonStead

Postby peter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi Ron,

I have been working on a database of the 1914 Star men of the 2nd Bn. Worcesters for some time now and your Grandfather is one of the just over 1600 men listed. I can't add any further details other than those already supplied by Corona but would suggest that (if you haven't already) get a copy of 'The Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War' by Capt. H. FitzM. Stacke (local library may have a copy). This would give you all the details for the 2nd Bn. from when the Bn. went to France in August 1914 and covers in detail the period that your Grandfather was involved in (August- November 1914). My Grandfather also served with the 2nd Bn. and they may well have known each other. The only details I have regarding William are from CWGC and his MIC (his service papers must have been destroyed by the German bombing of 1940) so if you could give any further information it would be most appreciated (birth details, marriage date etc.) It may be worth your time to contact the Regimental Archives (details on this site) and (for a small fee) they might be able to add further information regarding his time with the Worcesters.

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby Crystal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi Ron,
My Grandfather was also at the Boer War at the same time. He was George Davis, regimental No: 4881, 2nd Bat. Worcestershire Regt. and was wounded at the Orange Free State and received a Queens South Africa Medal etc as well. It is still in possession of our family. He was later posted to the 4th Bat. Worcestershire Regt. was in Bareilly India in 1911. Regards Crystal
Crystal

Postby RonStead » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Peter and Crystal, thanks for taking an interest in my Grandfather, I'm away in the the wilds of Scotland for afew weeks so communication is a bit difficult. I wil post a bit more information when I get back in a couple of weeks.
Regards
Ron
RonStead

Postby peter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Ron

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Peter
peter

Return to General Enquires