Victor Bert Harris

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Victor Bert Harris

Postby Naz » Thu May 10, 2007 11:04 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone could spare some information about my Great Grandfather, Victor Bert Harris. Now unfortunately i have very few details to go with. Now despite his military card saying he was in the Duke of Cornwall's Light infantry but the number he was given, 5250194, doesn't match up with there, but it does here. We believe he joined on the 28/1/1936, we also strongly believe that he went to Malaya.

anyway any Imformation would be a big help. Thanks :D
Naz

light infantry

Postby CPLCLIVE » Fri May 11, 2007 9:35 am

Naz
I am sorry but we would have no details on your grandfather you need to get in touch with the DCLI they may be able to help but even this will possibly prove difficult with all these amalgamations the only other idea would be the National Archives
All the best
Clive
CPLCLIVE

ist bn light infantry

Postby CPLCLIVE » Fri May 11, 2007 9:43 am

Naz
Me again you should try the 1st Bn Light Infantry they where amalgamated with the Somerset Light Infantry in 1959 to form this Battalion but a word of warning it is possible they have been messed about with in the latest options for change.
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Regimental Numbers

Postby Mike Jones » Sat May 12, 2007 7:50 am

Morning Naz,
I am afraid that Clive has got that one wrong. If you are right with the Number
5 250 194 (I have split it up a little to make it easier to check) , then it was issued to a Worcestershire Regiment soldier.
The Worcestershire Regiment were issued with a block of numbers in 1920 that ran from 5 239 001 through to 5 328 000. If you contact the Official Research team at Norton barracks, they will be able to check for you. There is a direct link to them from the Home page of this website. For sure they have the original enlistment registers that cover the issue of this sequence of numbers. If your luck is in there will be lots of information on your relative.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

hands up

Postby CPLCLIVE » Sat May 12, 2007 9:48 am

??
Mike
I hold my hands up here I have to admit when it comes to regimental or service numbers I am way at the back Sorry
?/?
CPLCLIVE

correct

Postby CPLCLIVE » Sat May 12, 2007 11:10 am

Naz & Mike
I have gone through Naz's letter again and I would like to point out that my answer was based on the DCLI connection and not the number and my information as far as this goes is perfectly correct with the acception that they again have a new name for "Light Infantry" read "The Rifles".
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Return to General Enquires