29th regiment movements c1816

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

29th regiment movements c1816

Postby hcole » Sun May 13, 2007 2:33 pm

Thank you so much for the website which has helped enormously in finding out how it was that my gr gr gr grandfather was born at sea. Where can I find out whether the 29th of Foot would have been in or near Ware, Kent in 1816? Regards Hilary Cole
hcole

Postby scully » Sun May 13, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi Hilary,

The following information for 1816 is taken from the official Regimental history:

1816 Early in February, 1816, the regiment took up quarters at Chocques, Pas de Calais, where its head-quarters were stationed the greater part of the two succeeding years.

On the 10th of April it was cantoned as follows:—
Head Quarters at Chocque………….7 Officers, 136 Men
Gonnelrem…………………………………… 8 Officers, 235 Men
Hinge………………………………………..…. 5 Officers, 154 Men
Mont Berninchen………………………... 4 Officers, 141 Men
La Boeuvieres……………………………… 4 Officers 110 Men
La Pugny……………………………………… 3 Officers, 85 Men

On the 6th of August, the 29th marched to Blandecques, where it encamped till the 15th of October, when it marched and encamped near Mastaing. On the 22nd it was reviewed near Valenciennes, with the remainder of the British contingent, by the Duke of Wellington, after which it proceeded to Guenain, and on the 30th, was inspected at Chocques by Sir Thomas Bradford.

On the 25th of December 1816, the establishment of the regiment was fixed at 1 colonel, 1 lieut.-colonel, 2 majors, 10 captains, 12 lieutenants, 8 ensigns, 6 staff; 45 serjeants, 22 drummers, 800 rank and file. In consequence of this the recruiting company was done away with, captain and 12 lieutenants were placed upon half-pay, and all super¬numerary serjeants and corporals discharged.

DEPOT, 1816.
In March the Depot was stationed at Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, where it embarked early in April for Dover, and on landing, marched to Deal Barracks.

The following General Orders with regard to dress were published this year :—

16th June, 1816.
Officers, when at Court, or on other occasions in their Regimental Uniform, to appear in a Cap, in lieu of a cocked Hat.

20th December, 1816
All Mounted Officers of Infantry to wear the white buff leather Shoulder Belt with Slings, and not waistbelt. Officers of all Infantry Regiments are required to button the lapels of their jackets close across their breast, without showing any part whatever of their facings.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby hcole » Thu May 17, 2007 6:47 pm

Hi Louis

Many thanks for the detailed information, I should have said Walmer, Kent so it does fit. I believe my 4xgr grandfather was a John Workman, of the 29th Regiment. He married Ann Mitchell in Dorset in 1797 and she was presumably accepted 'on the strength' as their children were born in Truro, Guernsey, Halifax Nova Scotia, at sea, Walmer and Gloucester. These are the ones I know about, there may well have been more. Their daughter Mary Ann, b Guernsey c 1799 married William Whalley, also of the 29th, at Carisbrooke Isle of Wight in 1815. I know William came from Northumberland, would there be any record of where John Workman was born, always assuming you can identify him.

Regards Hilary
hcole

Return to General Enquires