John Stinton

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

John Stinton

Postby eskimo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Thought it might be of interest to the regiment history to post the service of one of my relatives who served in the Worcs 36 foot and the Scottish regiments..

Military service of Quartermaster Sergeant John Stinton. Born 1855 died 1895.

Served the colours for 16 years, 6 years with the Seaforth Highlanders.
Joined aged 18 served 36 (Worcs/Hereford) foot 25th Apr 1874 at Devonport/Jersey for around 2 years. 20th May 1876 he purchased a discharge but re-enlisted after only a matter of months, during his 2 years’ service he spent 20 days in hospital with the Victorian curse of Syphilis.
Re-joined the colours on the 20th Nov 1876 at Worcester, into the 22nd brigade 36 foot, aged 21 years 5 months. Arrived at Devonport 23.11.1876. Promoted Lance corporal 16 Aug 1877.

At this time he also consents to serve in the Scottish regiments. July 1878 into the 55 Bde 78th Highlanders. June 1881 2nd Bat Seaforth highlanders, June 84 72nd regiment army reserve. Mar 1885 to Cameron highlanders. 1st June 1885 transferred to 3rd bat Royal Scots fusiliers. Then again to the Kings own Scottish borders (kosb) still retained with the 3rd battalion. Medically Discharged Nov 1889 Berwick-on-Tweed, with the rank of Quartermaster Sergeant on a pension, suffered from smallpox and TB which was eventually to kill him in 1895. At one point he was reduced to private from sergeant after trial, his record does not state the reason. Within six months he was re-instated as a sergeant.
Served in home posts and India, also in Kandahar and Quetta during the 2nd Afghan war for which he received the Afghan 79-81 medal while serving with the 2nd battalion Seaforth Highlanders.

John married Emily Sanderson from Huddersfield in Dumfries Dec 1885. They had 1 child Emily Alice Valentinus. In the 1891 census he was living in the Kings Norton area of Birmingham living off his service pension.

He died July 15th 1895 at Chequer's lane, Worcester after a painful illness, in his 39th year. Death in the Worcestershire Chronicle Saturday 20th July 1895.

John was my Grand Uncle, Brother to my Grandad.

Johns nephew John Ashley who was only 7 when John died in 1895, went on to serve with the Royal Artillery in the Great War, he died of wounds in Aug 1918 after serving over 3 years on the western front.

Eskimo.
remembering all the Stinton's who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

www.dennisstinton.co.uk
www.bidfordwarmemorial.co.uk
eskimo

Re: John Stinton

Postby corona » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi eskimo,
Thanks for posting the record of your relation's most interesting military history.Looking at his record on FIND MY PAST I think I read he was tried and
reduced to Private for -DRUNKENNESS- on Jan 3rd 1881. I could of course be wrong!
Regards,
corona
corona

Re: John Stinton

Postby eskimo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:26 am

Corona,

Thanks for that, i down loaded John's history from find my past a few weeks back, for the life of me i could not decifher what it said but on re-reading it i think you are right it does look like Drunkeness.

Regards eskimo
remembering all the Stinton's who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

www.dennisstinton.co.uk
www.bidfordwarmemorial.co.uk
eskimo

Return to General Enquires