1890-92 which militia/volunteer uniform?

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

1890-92 which militia/volunteer uniform?

Postby pearmain » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:29 pm

I've been directed to your forum to help identify a relatives uniform. As new user, I can't see any option for me to attach the photograph (though I'd happily upload it to your gallery if someone could identify it as appropriate). I know it was taken during the above years at the studio of Walter J Brown, as this was the only time he was at 9 Bridge Street Worcester. The subject was probably Thomas Deakin (in his mid-fifties), who in the 1891 census was a shoe maker living in the Blockhouse area of Worcester. The hat is pill box shape with a small bump visible on the top centre with a horseshoe shaped badge joined by a crown at the top - the middle of it looks like the tower motif (though I'm told this may have been removed from the uniform after 1891). On his collar he has the number 6 (which i haven't been able to tie up with a regiment for that time period), next to a badge of some sort. His tunic is fastened with 5 or 6 buttons with a half hidden chain running down them. Down his right arm he has a crown then 3 stripes. On the lower part of that arm he has something that looks like a bugle in a circle then cross feathers swords or similar followed by a rope design near the cuff. I know very little about military history and would very much appreciate any suggestions or leads.
pearmain

Return to General Enquires