Berkshire Yeomanry posted to Worcestershire Regt

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Berkshire Yeomanry posted to Worcestershire Regt

Postby Ratcliffe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:03 pm

Hello all,
Please join this discussion…
I am a retired Berkshire Yeoman and presently researching Berks Yeo in WW1. The Worcestershire Regt are close to my heart as 200 members of 2/1st Berkshire Yeomanry were sent to Infantry Training Depo (ITD) France in summer of 1916. This was in response to a general order for all reserve Regiments to supply 200 soldiers to ITD following the disastrous British losses in France.
Of these 200 soldiers 84 (known) were posted to Worcestershire Regt. Their numbers range between 39774-39839 & 40147-40198 (not consecutive numbers as these range's also included soldiers from other units) and almost all served with 3rd Bn Worcestershire Regiment for the remainder of the war/lives.
Almost all were previously volunteers (not conscripted) into 2/1st Berks Yeo and many enlisted between October - December 1914 and served in the Reserve Regiment (2nd line). While they volunteered for the Yeomanry they would not have had a choice in their move to ITD France or any choice of Worcestershire Regt (others went into Berkshire Regiment spread across Bn plus East Yorks Regt among others).
Of these 84 soldiers 27 are listed by CWGC killed/died and at least 2 discharged with Silver War Badge. There are Six known awards of MM which is a credit to the 84 serving (Private WF Fisher/ Private Ernest J. Gower/ Private Joseph Hammond/ Private Victor Henry Hawkins/ Acting Serjeant Robert L Shepherd & Sergt Richard Webber). This is a high proportion of MM (7% of serving) and demonstrates to me the high calibre of their individual contribution overall.
I have just purchased a book “Dear Mother. Great War Letters From a Bristol Soldier. WW1. Worcestershire Reg't” and awaiting delivery as many of 2/1st and 3/1st Berks Yeo were enlisted from Bristol so I am hoping I will learn more.
I will review book later and value your input and invite your comments
Ratcliffe

Re: Berkshire Yeomanry posted to Worcestershire Regt

Postby Ratcliffe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:54 pm

It may/maynot appear that I “know my stuff” but please don’t let this put you off commenting as I am an enthusiast and my knowledge is gained from Asst Curator of Berks Yeo archive and then loading data onto a “Excel spread sheet”. The Worcester Regt. is a little researched area of our history as they were recruited from the “reserve” Berks Yeo. It’s never easy to learn about UK based reserve soldiers as I am sure you may appreciate? We are very keen to learn about out reserve Regt (2/1st and 3/1st) and value all of their contribution. So please join this discussion as Worcester Regt represents 7% of Berkshire Yeomanry deployed soldiers in WW1. A very important part of our history which we are very keen to honour.
Ratcliffe

Return to General Enquires