1st/8th

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

1st/8th

Postby Barham » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi am looking for infomation on the 1st/8th bn William Edward Sellis was KIA on 24 April 1917. I would like to know where if poss. Also if his records still exsist
Mick
Barham

Re: 1st/8th

Postby scully » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi Mick,

The information I have on Private William Edward Sellis (9746) is as follows:

He initially landed in France on the 30th August 1914 with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.

Some time later he was posted to the 1/8th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment and was killed in action whilst serving with them on the 24 April 1917.

He was awarded 3 medals; British War Medal, Victory Medal and 1914 Star.

Private William Edward Sellis was born in Wainscott, Kent and was living in Wainscott when he enlisted (in Maidstone). He was killed in action at Gillemont Farm and is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

Hope this helps a bit,

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Barham » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi Louis it's a big help thanks. I come from Wainscott and I am try to trace some men who were killed in 1st world war. He also had a brother killedin 1915 on HMS Formidable
Regards
Mick
Barham

Postby flatcapmon » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:56 am

Hi Mick,

Just browsing the posts on here and have realised that William Sellis was killed on the same day as my great uncle, Albert Johns at Gillemont Farm. We have recently visited the area and found the farm, it is situated on high ground just outside the village of Bony. We were able to visit Albert's 'grave' at the nearby Templeux le Guerard cemetery, William was probably one of the 63 reported as 'missing' and whose body/remains were never found as he is recorded on the Thiepval Memorial.

Regards

Mark (Flatcapmon)
flatcapmon

Return to General Enquires