1897 pattern Infantry Officers Sword 2nd VB Worcs Rgt.

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

1897 pattern Infantry Officers Sword 2nd VB Worcs Rgt.

Postby bevan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:13 pm

Hi and thanks for letting me join the forum. As part of my collection I have the above sword, retailed by Hobson of London with the monogram of Edward VII on the hilt. The blade is engraved 2nd V B and below, Worcester Regt. Below that it has the three letters of the owners initials in the usual annoyingly hard to decipher flowing script! I will email photos for your information. I can therefore narrow the Swords' date to between 1901-10 but I would really like to know who the owner was and generally any information about the 2nd Volunteer Battalion at that time, e.g. Any Boer War service, where were they stationed, and does anyone have a list of the officers in that unit at the time my sword was in service so that I might be able to identify him from his initials. I'm just over the border from Worcestershire so it may not have travelled far in it's life and I'd be most grateful for any help, regards Ben
bevan

Re: 1897 pattern Infantry Officers Sword 2nd VB Worcs Rgt.

Postby bevan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:48 am

I've been trawling through Harts Army List, but the 2nd VB are not listed as such, it appears they are subsumed into other battalions in the list, and in 1908 the name was discontinued. With help I have decyphered the initials as H R C, the only candidate being Harold Ranyard Cox, listed as 2nd Lieut. 5th Battalion April 02, in Harts 1903 edition, could this be my man? Again thanks for any help.
bevan

Re: 1897 pattern Infantry Officers Sword 2nd VB Worcs Rgt.

Postby bevan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:43 pm

Hi, I had great hopes with this forum, there are clearly many people who are passionately interested in the Regiment, but there are so many unanswered questions ! I have to ask, where are the 'experts'? Sorry, but I'm clearly disappointed .
bevan

Return to General Enquires