William Warrender 19329

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

William Warrender 19329

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:03 am

Hi All
We are going to visit my G Granddad's final resting place, in Noeux Les Mines, on the 100th anniversary of his death and was also looking to maybe visit Dunkirk en-route. If any have done a similar thing, do you have any advice that might help us with the experience.

I have ordered copy medals that he was awarded (originals have been long time lost) so that I can get a picture of them on his grave stone. Don't know why, but feel it fitting.
Steve

Re: William Warrender 19329

Postby gilbo139 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:47 pm

Could be cold in Northern France in November......I did the same last year when I visited my Great Grandads grave on the Somme....it was blowing a gale but luckily the rain held off pretty much. I took a small amount of earth from the grounds of his parish church in Worcester and mixed it in with the soil just in front of the headstone. There was hardly anyone else about, it was quite moving........you,re not far from Vimy ridge which is well worth a visit if you haven,t been before! Have a good trip!
gilbo139

Re: William Warrender 19329

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks for the reply. I love the idea of taking a bit of English soil over with us. We may very well visit Vimmy Ridge, as it is so close to noeux les mines.
Steve

Return to General Enquires