Maj George Seton Briscoe DSO

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Maj George Seton Briscoe DSO

Postby PSAOJtCIMICGp » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:49 pm

I am investigating the service history of Maj G S Briscoe DSO. Prior to WW1 he served in the Boer war with the East Surrey Regt as a Militia Officer. Soon afterwards he commissioned into the Worcs Regt seeing service in WW1, winning a MiD and DSO. He continued to serve until his retirement on 30 Mar 1932.
I would be interested in anyone who has any information regarding Maj Briscoe's service, particularly the post war years. Also I would be grateful if anyone knows of any living relatives that they pass my contact details to them. I am not a relative I simply came across Maj Briscoe's original commissioning certificate. I started digging a little and now I am hooked. Hope someone can help.
P A D SENTER
Capt
PSAO Jt CIMIC Gp
PSAOJtCIMICGp

Major Briscoe

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:40 am

Hello Capt. Senter, You may have already gathered from other posts on the Forum that the information you seek will be held at the Regimental Archives. The address is RHQ WFR. Norton Barracks. Worcester. WR5 2PA, you can phone on 01905 354359. They do have some very good material on officers, including many photos. Best wishes for your search , Mike Jones
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby scully » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:02 pm

Major George Seton Briscoe began his army career as a Militia Officer in the East Surrey Militia and served with them in the Boer War.

On the 28th January 1903 he received a regular commission with the Worcestershire Regiment.

Major George Seton Briscoe was attached to the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Tipperary. He was then posted to 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Templemore (that battalion had just return from South Africa that same year).

In 1906-1907 he did a tour of duty at the Regimental Depot at Norton Barracks.

He then served with the 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Bareilly, and then India, from 1909 to 1913.

From 1913 to 1914 he was the Adjutant of the 5th Battalion King's (Liverpool) Regiment (T.A.).

During the First World War he served with the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Vimy Ridge in 1916, and again with the 3rd Battalion on the Somme, where in August of 1916, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for gallantry in leading forward Carrying Parties. He was also Mentioned in Despatches.

He was promoted to Substantive Major on 28th January 1918.

After the First World War he was posted to the 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Galway, Northern Ireland, for a short time, and on the disbandment of the 4th Battalion in 1922 he was posted to the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in Dublin and later at Dover.

From 1923 to 24th June 1931, when he retired, almost all his remaining service was spent with the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Nasirabad, Meerut, Allahabad, Shanghai and Plymouth.

He died on the 18th February 1964 at his home at Mulroy, Hennock, Newton Abbot, Devon, at the age of 82.

I hope this is of help.
Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby PSAOJtCIMICGp » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:54 pm

Scully

great - thanks a lot for the information, you have filled in an awful lot of gaps. I now have an abundance of avenues to follow.

Once again thank you very much

Paul
P A D SENTER
Capt
PSAO Jt CIMIC Gp
PSAOJtCIMICGp

Postby scully » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:12 pm

Glad to be of help Paul. I did try to email you a photo of Major Briscoe but I have had problems with your email address.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby PSAOJtCIMICGp » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:27 pm

Scully

I would be grateful if you could try paul.senter@googlemail.com.

Paul
P A D SENTER
Capt
PSAO Jt CIMIC Gp
PSAOJtCIMICGp

Postby scully » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:39 pm

Hi Paul,

I have emailed you a photo of Major Briscoe to your new email address.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby PSAOJtCIMICGp » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:39 pm

Scully

I am sorry to be a pain but the photo hasn't come through. Could I ask that you try again, or simply make contact by e mail and I will furnish you with my address.

Paul
P A D SENTER
Capt
PSAO Jt CIMIC Gp
PSAOJtCIMICGp

Postby scully » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:21 pm

Paul,

I have sent you an email.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby PSAOJtCIMICGp » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:48 pm

Scully

Thanks. I have found your original e mail. My e mail system put your e mail in the 'spam' box. Thankfully I have retireved it and have the picture.

Sorry to have messed you about.

Paul
P A D SENTER
Capt
PSAO Jt CIMIC Gp
PSAOJtCIMICGp

Return to General Enquires