ANY information ON GREAT GRANDFATHER

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

ANY information ON GREAT GRANDFATHER

Postby allan price » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:08 pm

Hi,new to the forum.looking for any details on my great grandad.
i have his discharge certificate.on it it states his name as FRANK CLARKSON, NUMBEBER 102489
but in fact his name was CLACKSON.
his discharge was dated 4 july 1919.
it also says he was in the Machine Gun Corps & was disabled in the great war.
any help would be great,or if anyone could push me in the right direction.
thanks,Albert.
allan price

Postby beardie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:21 pm

hello allan,
here is a link to his medal index card

ERROR://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/docu ... ultcount=1

it lists him as frank percy clackson

beardie
beardie

The Machine Gun Corps

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:31 pm

Hello Albert,
it looks as though you will have to contact the Machine Gun Corps Forum or try the Great War Forum. I cant find any connection your relative had with the Worcesters. If I have missed something, please come back with the details and I will try again.
Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby allan price » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:43 am

thanks for all the help men,he was definatley in the Worcesters,it says on the discharge certificate,he was wounded & lost a leg.when my great gran got flooded out in the early 80's(?)my nan went to SSAFA for help,she always thought he was in the Warwickshires,but they found out it was Worcesters,then MGC.my uncle has his medals apparently,but i've yet to see them.
thanks again.Great site men,
Albert.
allan price

Postby scully » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:18 pm

Allan,

I see his discharge papers say he was in France for 12 months before he was wounded. He was initially posted for duty at Worcester on the 22nd February 1917 but I can see no record of him joining the Worcestershire Regiment, he may simply have been recruited at Worcester like many others and joined the Machine Gun Corps. as a gunner. He was wounded on the 11th August 1918 at Corbie, Somme, France. Suffered Gun Shoot Wound (left leg was practically blown off at the thigh by a shell) to his left leg (thigh) had it amputated on the 18th August 1918 (states 12.5 inch stump). After been wounded he was taken to the 55th Casualty Clearing Station (France) then to the 54th General Hospital (France) then to 2nd Northern General Hospital, Leeds, then to the Lady Sykes Aux. Hospital at Brompton.

Prior to joining the army he was employed at Messers Ward & Co., Leather Worker, Barbourne, Worcester.

You may already have the above information but I thought I would post it just in case.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby allan price » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:35 am

scully,
thanks for all that information,didnt know any of that.where did you get that from???
it definatly says "formerly of worcestershire regiment" on the certificate,could this have been TA?
Again,thanks for all the information men,didnt know where to start on any of this.got more information over last few days than in 12 months.
allan price

Postby scully » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:20 pm

Allan,

The information came from his discharge papers and medical report. If you would like me to post you a copy of the original documents then send me a personal email with your home address.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby allan price » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:28 pm

thata would be brilliant mate,thanks alot.i will email you with my home address.
Albert.
allan price

Re: ANY information ON GREAT GRANDFATHER

Postby allan price » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Gents,
further to more research i have found that my Great Grandad WAS in the Worcester Regiment!
He attested to the Regiment in 1916 and joined the 6th Battalion(i believe this was a traing battalion?)his regimental number with the regiment was 45901.he then went on to be army reserve before transfering to the MGC.
so any more information to his time with the Colours before transfer would be great.
thanks again,
Allan
allan price

Return to General Enquires