Regiment in Ireland

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Regiment in Ireland

Postby John W » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:25 pm

Hello all,
I am trying to trace my ggg grandfather Samuel Green.He was born in Pershore in c1788.I have traced him to Ireland in the 1820s where he married a Mary Sweeny.On the 1/2/1824 they had a daughter,Mary Ann, christened at St Munchin in Limerick.The parish records show Samuel was a soldier in the Rifle Regiment.Does anyone if any regiments from Worcestershire served in Ireland in the 1820s and if so ,which ones and if possible how to trace any military records for him?.
Thanking you
John W
John W

12th nov

Postby CPLCLIVE » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:34 pm

?? :)
Hi John
Welcome to the club Your question on where the regiment in Ireland in the 1820's the answer is yes they according to Major Everads history of the regiment moved to Ireland on the troopships "BRILLIANT" AND "LADY HAMILTON" to relieve the 82nd foot one coy was sent to Strabane one to Monaghan and two to Omagh smaller parties where sent to Dungannon ,Cookstown, Pomeroy and Aughnacloy.On 22nd of November 1820 the regiment embarked at Pidgeon House and sailing for Livwerpool arrived there on the 24th .On landing it marched to relieve the 12th foot at Macclesfield and two companies where sent to Northwich and two to Middlewich and one to Knutsford.
That is about it for 1820 John for futher information try either the National Archives or the archives at RHQ at Norton Barracks which you can do from the opening page of this site
Best of Luck
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Regiment in Ireland In 1820s

Postby John W » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:02 pm

Hello Clive,
Thanks for the information.If I have interpreted it correctly,then the Regiment arrived in Ireland In 1820 and left again for Duties in England(Cheshire) in November 1820.As the only definite date I have is 1824 it is unlikely he was there from 1820 to 1824.Was it normal for Reg to stationed abroad for short periods at a time?.Excuse the questions,having lived in South Africa since a small child,my knowledge of British military procedures is extremely limited.
Thanks
John
John W

ireland

Postby CPLCLIVE » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:52 pm

:?
John W
They appear to be all over the place in the years 1820-1824 mainly in Ireland they returned to Ireland in 1821 the battalion again split up into different area's one company in the Isle of Man,some to Dublin others in Longford, Tullimore,Marlborough,Phillipstown and so it went on normal postings would be around five years postings such as India would be for very much longer in Irelands case we have to remember their has always been trouble which means regiments would have been there for short and long periods according to how long they where required . The movements in 1820 - 1824 are complcated to put in letter form what I will do if you would like is write it all out and send it to you
Let mwe know what you think
Regards
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Ireland

Postby John W » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:44 pm

Hello Clive,
Thanks again for the information.I dont think I will need all the regiments movements in Ireland 1820-1824.The areas I think would be of relevance are Roscommon(Samuel married a Mary Sweeny from here sometime between 1820 and1824.this information was taken from later England census data).I am presuming he was stationed near to Roscommon to have met Mary.There first child,Mary Ann, was born in 1824 and christened at St munchins in Limerick.This I have from a transcript of the Parish records.As he was a serviceman at the time,I am hoping the regiment records will have some record of his marriage and the births of his children in Ireland.After 1824 their first son Eli Green(my gg grandfather) was born in Ireland.I can find no trace of his birth in Parish records.
In the St Munchin Parish records of 1824/5,I found a number of soldiers mentioned from the 42nd Reg,39th Reg and 2nd Rifles.Unfortunately Samuels entry merely stated that he was "Soldier Rifle Regiment"
From the information I have would it be possible to trace his service records?.
Any advice or input will be gretly appreciated.
Regards
John W
John W

Return to General Enquires