Were the Worcesters in Ireland in the mid 1800s?

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Were the Worcesters in Ireland in the mid 1800s?

Postby Bill Hyde » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:29 pm

I am fairly sure my great great grandfather Jonathan Bishop born 1813 in Worcester was a soldier. All the indications are that he was, he lived in Cork and married a Irish woman from that city and was a prison warder for a good part of his life. His families business was manufacturing gloves and milliinery and he worked at Worcester Jail before he retired on a pension. Now having said all that, assuming he joined the local regiment it could well have been the Worcesters. Were the Worcesters in Ireland about that time? Can anyone help?

Bill Hyde
Bill Hyde

Ireland

Postby CPLCLIVE » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Hi Bill yes the 29th (which later became the 1st Bn Worcestershire Regiment) where in Ireland in 1819 you can follow their movements if you click on BATTALIONS on the opening page of this site and on the drop down you will find evrywhere they where stationed both before and after.
All the best
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Re: Were the Worcesters in Ireland in the mid 1800s?

Postby mick cooper » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Hiya Bill

Just saw your post - joined to contact you, hope you are still there!! Jonathan is a descendant of mine. Guess you are related to one of his daughters Mary , who married Wiliam Hyde. He was a soldier - different regiment though. Hope to hear from you and we can share what we have.

Regards

Mick
mick cooper

Postby corona » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:29 am

Hi Bill Hyde,
Johnathan Bishop served in the 6th Dragoon Gds.and later the 4th Dragoon Gds.
He enlisted in Worcester in April 1839 giving his age as 18 yrs. and his trade as currier.
His full set of service papers(13 pages) can be found on the military section of the pay for site Find my Past.
Regards,
corona.
corona

Postby Bill Hyde » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:23 pm

mick cooper wrote:
> Hiya Bill
>
> Just saw your post - joined to contact you, hope you are still there!!
> Jonathan is a descendant of mine. Guess you are related to one of his
> daughters Mary , who married Wiliam Hyde. He was a soldier - different
> regiment though. Hope to hear from you and we can share what we have.
>
> Regards
>
> Mick
Sorry Mick I haven't been on the site for a time. You are correct I am the descendant of Mary and William. I didn't know that William was a soldier. Tell me what you know. My dad William was a soldier and I am fairly sure his father William was a soldier also and I know he knew all the bugal cavalry calls knew all about horses and but he would never admit it. We believe he was a deserter. I would love to know more about him but have had no luck. My e-mail is w.ghyde@tiscali.co.uk if you are still out there Mick.
Bill Hyde

Return to General Enquires