Cpl Alan James Townsend

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Cpl Alan James Townsend

Postby redbreast » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:36 pm

hello
Am trying to find out as much as possible about my grandfathers time in the regiment, so that i can take my father to visit the areas he fought in.
All the information I have is that of his rank, I think he was in the 8th battalion & that he was gassed at some stage & invalided out.

would much appreciate any help with finding information, can visit PRO, but if records are also held at Worcester, this would be easier.

many thanks in advance for any help
redbreast

Postby scully » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:40 pm

Hi,

He is listed on the Medal Index Card as Private Allen James Townsend. He was originally with the Worcestershire Regiment (with army number 1525) and later transferred to the Somerset Light Infantry and given a new army number 266397. Note the spelling of his first name as ALLEN.

I check to see if any service records still existed but could find none.

The best bet is to PlumPudding his Medal Index Card from the National Archives Website at Kew. The direct link to his Medal Index Card is below:
ERROR://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/docu ... ultcount=2

From this you will be able to local the Medal Roll at Kew which should give the Battalion he served in.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby redbreast » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Hi Louis
thanks for the information. looked up records & he was in the 1/8th battalion.
As no service records seem to exist, is there any way I can find out about their operations in France. I can see from the records that they left for France in 1915 - but is it possible to find out more? (ie. are there detailed regimental records of movements, actions, gassings etc.)
The only information I have is that he was gassed & sent home to recuperate.

At a guess it would seem likely he was transfered to the Somerset L.I. when he was considered fit for duty - but I suppose with no service records I am likely to ever find out

regards

Robin
redbreast

Allen James Townsend

Postby Mike Jones » Fri May 02, 2008 1:13 am

Hello Robin,
There are quite detailed reports of incidents and activities on a daily basis, both in the War Diaries and Captain Stacke's Regimental History. How to get them, please look through the Forum for a posting on how to research a soldier, saves me a lot of typing ! Your Grandfather joined the Worcester Territorials in Feb or March 1912, just before the Titanic sailed from Southampton. He left for France 1st April 1915 and was returned to England sick (Probably from Gas) 7th September 1915. He was in "B" Company of the 1/8th Battalion. He left the Worcestershire Regiment before March 1917, probably in Mid 1916 when he he had recovered from his injuries. You could check with the Somerset Light Infantry, as to when they issued his new Number.
Hope this helps Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby redbreast » Sun May 04, 2008 1:06 pm

Hello Mike
Thank you very much for the information, it is much appreciated.
That should keep me busy for a while!

kind regards

Robin Townsend
redbreast

Postby redbreast » Fri May 23, 2008 8:48 pm

hello mike
have progressed quite nicely with my search for information, but have had a slight hiccup!
Two further questions if I may:
1. how do we know it was actually Allen Townsend who came back on 7th Sept 1915.
2. Ordered and received first 10 images from national archives which covered April - July 1915, did not tell me much, so ordered the next 10 - only to find they had jumped 12 months to July 1916. Do you think they have messed up or would there be an explanation for this?

kind regards

Robin Townsend.
redbreast

Postby Mike Jones » Fri May 23, 2008 11:26 pm

Hello Robin,
It is definitely him, the entry includes both his initials (A.J.) and his Regimental number 1525. If you contact the Regimental Archives, I am sure for a small donation they will send you a photy copy of the entry. They may also have more information on him.
With regard to the National Archive, they have made a mistake. The Battalion moved down to the Somme in July 1915. They managed to avoid being in the wrong place at the wrong time but were always involved. Before July 1917, the Battalion lost men every month except October 1915. It would be cheaper to pay £15 for the C/D version of Stacke's Regimental History. Then if you were especially interested in a particular period contact the Regiment, they also have the War Diaries.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby redbreast » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi Mike
thanks very much for checking again for me.

Will plough on with my quest

kind regards

Robin
redbreast

Return to First World War