RSM George TUSTIN - Worcestershire Regiment

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

RSM George TUSTIN - Worcestershire Regiment

Postby shelldrake » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:40 am

Family research has revealed the name of a relative believed to have served in the Regiment during WW1. All I know is that his name was George TUSTIN and that he served with the regiment - possibly as an RSM - no other details known at this stage.
Can anyone offer any other information on what may prove to be my second relative serving with the regiment in WW1.

Thanks.
shelldrake

Postby scully » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi,

Did some checking for you and came up with the following:

George Tustin enlised in to the army on the 17th August 1914 in Birmingham, he joined the Worcestershire Regiment as a Private with the army number 20842 (at the time he was 32 years old).

He was stationed at Devonport from the 20th August 1914 to the 5th February 1915. It is likely he was with the Reserve Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment.

He landed in France on the 5th December 1915. Joined as reinforcement.

He was wounded in action on the 18th October 1916 (shell wound to left side). He was evacuated back to England on the 20th October 1916.

He was awarded the Military Medal (M.M.) for his actions during 1916 whilst Acting as a Lance Corporal (London Gazette date 6th January 1917).

He was again stationed in Devonport from 24th January 1917 to 9th February 1917.

He later joined the 14th Battalion of The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry with the rank of Acting Sergeant (his army number then changed to 46810).

His Medal Index Card shows that he finally joined the Kings African Rifles again with the rank of Acting Sergeant.

He was finally discharged from the Army on the 3rd July 1919.

He was entitled to the following medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal, 1915 Star and Military Medal.

Hope the above is of help.

Louis
scully
Site Admin

George TUSTIN - Worcestershire Regiment

Postby shelldrake » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:31 pm

Louis,

Very many thanks for your detailed reply, what a short flash to bang!! Your information has opened up several new lines of enquiry for me. Any chance that George TUSTIN was in the same Reserve Bn as my other relative - 3976 Pte Joseph JEAVONS of the 1/7 Bn - they were certainly in the Regiment at the same time.

Regards
shelldrake

Postby scully » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:36 pm

Hi,

It is likely that while he was in England before going to France he was with the 5th Battalion (see the section on the 5th Battalion on this website). I am not sure which battalion he joined in France. Regimental HQ at Worcester may be able to help, their contact details are on the home page of this website.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby allanp » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi,

I have a mention of 20842 Lance Cpl G Tustin of Bristol reported wounded in the 25th November 1916 edition of the Worcester Herald. Also a report of his Military Medal as Pte (Lanc Cpl) G Tustin on the 13th January 1917.

Regards Allan
allanp

RESEARCHING CASUALTY REPORTS AND OBITUARIES

Postby shelldrake » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:00 am

Allan,
Thank you for your post regarding the entries in the WORCESTER HERALD for George TUSTIN - is there any way I can get a copy?
Don't suppose you've managed to turn anything up for my other relative; Dudley born, 3976 PTE Joseph JEAVONS, 1/7 Bn Worcs, killed in FRANCE on 1 MAY 1916, aged 19yrs.
Clearly you have some experience of researching Casualties and Obituaries. As far as I understand, it is difficult to do it on-line, so it looks like a visit to the micro-fiches at WORCESTER Library - difficult when you live in North Yorks and work abroad a lot!!
Any general tips to offer, or post on the Forum, on how to research Casualties and Obituaries and the best publications to look at for information on Worcestershire Regiment soldiers?

Regards.
shelldrake

Postby beardie » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:25 am

try googling dudley libraries and you should find dudley history centre in coseley ,which holds dudley papers

i tried doing a link but site wouldnt let me!
beardie

Postby allanp » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:58 pm

HI

I have found a reference to a 3876 Pte J Jeavons of Dudley that was reported killed in the 3rd June 1916 addition of the Herald. The difference in number may be a reporting of typo error, could this be your relative?

The Worcester Herald & Burrows contain lists of Worcestershire casualties also some photographs, but unfortunatly they are only on microfish, so a visit to the History Centre in Worcester is the only way to do this research.

Some tips on this research:- start at the date of a death or casualty but then check forward at least 2 months. The reports are not always shown in the week that the event happened. Look for different spellings and slight number changes (Davis - Davies etc). You may also find that the home town is incorrect. My Great Uncle was reported at his death as coming from Plymouth when he actually came from Birmingham. He was an Instructor in Plymouth after recovering from wounds when he was attached to the 3rd Battalion in 1916. As for Obituaries you may be lucky with George Trustin as he has the MM.

I will send you are copy of the information I have. I have just checked the members list and you havn't left an email address.

Regards Allan
allanp

Postby beardie » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:18 pm

have checked me records and found a article on the death of 24804 alfred j jeavons of the 1st r warwicks who lived 28a high street kates hill dudley

if he is another relative email me and i will send you a copy

beardie
beardie

Return to First World War