Would like to return a medal to a family

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Would like to return a medal to a family

Postby Cris Morgan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:05 pm

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me? As a kid I collected coins and had them from other people over many years and I was sorting through them and I found a WW1 medal. I've checked with my family and my wife's family and no one knows whose it is. Because it isn't mine I would like to return it to the rightful owners but when searching on the internet the details can't find who got given the medal. The details on the edge of the medal is 19976 PTE . P.C.MOORE . WORC . R . Could anyone help please?
Cris Morgan

Postby LarsA » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:51 pm

His name was Percy C Moore, and was entitled to the 14-15 star, war anc victory medal. He was also awarded a Silver War Badge when discharged in 1919.

Got no further on Ancestry, I found qiute a few possible but nothing on pension papers och service records.
/Lars
LarsA

Postby Cris Morgan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:17 pm

Thanks for that, I'll keep looking as I believe his family should have his medal.
Cris Morgan

Re: Would like to return a medal to a family

Postby MagnificentSeven » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:29 am

Hi
There is a Percy Charles from Brum born in 1871 however that makes him 43 to enter ww1. and there are a few others noted for later dates. My Grandad was recruited from the Midlands for Worcs regiment but who knows.
Anyway the sites for checking would be FreeBMD (births,marriages, deaths) ...I searched between 1860 to 1899 and familysearch.org another free site both good information...hope that helps
MagnificentSeven

Return to First World War