pte Ernest Hobson

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

pte Ernest Hobson

Postby pippa » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi, Iam looking for information on my grandfather, we are unable to locate his service records but continue to try.If anyone can help with information or new leads i would be greatful. These are his details.

PTE ERNEST HOBSON INITIALY OF 2/5 WEST RIDING REG

POSSIBLE TRANSFER LATER IN THE WAR TO THE WORCESTER REG OR AFTER AS HE STAYED ON WE BELIEVE TILL AROUND 22/3

HE WAS CAPTURED TOWARDS THE END OF THE WAR, HE TOLD US THE DARDANELLES AND WAS TAKEN TO GIESSON IN GERMANY.

HE IS NOT ON THE POW LIST ON THE SITE.

THESE ARE HIS NUMBERS DO THEY MEAN ANYTHING TO ANYONE.
WEST RIDING 205028
WORCESTER235145
WITH MY THANKS PIPPA
pippa

Postby LarsA » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi, I found his Medal index card on ANcestry, which shows his entitlement to a british war medal and victory medal. This would mean that he did not serve overseas until 1916.

His number would seem like 1917 numbers, and the 2/5th WR did not serve overseas until 1917.

All the best,
Lars
LarsA

Postby pippa » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:02 pm

Hi Lars, thanks, he just seems really elusive , he says was a prisoner caught in dardanelles but they were also evacuated long before he is supposed to have served overseas. I have sent to the archives for the rest of the medal roll as i am told that they should show most of the regiments he was in, hope to have those next week, if i've done it right. Do you know if the worcesters were in Ireland after the war. cheers Pippa
pippa

Postby LarsA » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:44 pm

2nd battalion in Ireland from 1920
Lars
LarsA

Postby pippa » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi Lars, Is there a list that shows who would have been in that battalion or if he was part of this group. Pippa
pippa

Disaster, Again

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:47 pm

Hello Pippa,
I typed out a long reply answering most of your questions and it all went to waste as it would not post, AGAIN. I am so angry. When I calm down I will E/Mail you direct.
Sorry Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby LarsA » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:55 pm

Mike, I have also experienced posts not loading. I am wondering if it is posting of links that makes them unacceptable, one time it was an NA link, the other to another page on this site.

Perhaps Louis knows or can make out sometihing from this?
/Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Pte Ernest Hogben

Postby Mike Jones » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:19 am

Morning Pippa,
A nights sleep and I have calmed down a bit. Will answer a little bit at a time, so not so much is risked. Ernest came to the Worcesters in Aug-Sept of 1917 with 100 other West Riding Regiment men. Nineteen of these men were to die before the war ended ! Ernest was a very lucky man. Ernest got the number 235145 (AS you already know) , Pte Goodworth got 235144 and got killed on 13.12.17.. Pte Hartley got 235146 and got killed 22.3.18. More later assuming this uploads.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Ernest Hobson

Postby pippa » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi Mike , Lovely to hear from you. I also experienced the loss of my messages when i did my first posts but thought i'd just pressed the wrong key, obviously not.
This information is brilliant, i,ve been unable to track down my grandfathers records and have only family hearsay to follow up any leads from.
We thought he hadn't joined the Worcesters till the end of the war we had no idea he had been transfered. I know he was captured i assume later in the war he insisted in the Dardanelles but they were evacuated by 1915. I was also under the impression he was on the somme but the research on his numbers show he wasn't called up till 1917 with the 2/5 west riding being on the terratorial list prior to that. His pow camp was Giessen but he's not on the worcester list. I doubt that he would have been in from the beginning captured , released then put on reserves and sent back in.
He did n't leave the army till 22/3 and we are under the impression that he served in Ireland. He spoke little of his circumstances only giving snippets from time to time. If you have any other information that would be fantastic. with regards Pippa
pippa

Gallipoli

Postby Mike Jones » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:28 pm

Evening Pippa,
I shall try again with a bit more information. I am sure most of the 100 West Riding men in the draft that came to the Worcesters had only just finished their basic training. There is firm evidence of this but is too much to type out. I am sure they came into our 2-7th Battalion, which is also a Territorial Battalion. They were sent straight in to action. On the 26th-27th August the 2-7th attacked Gallipoli Farm ! It is dealt in detail in Captain Stacke's book , page 282 and 283. Too much of a coincidence not to have been where he was captured. There is no chance he was involved in the war prior to 1917.
Regards mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Flushed with success

Postby Mike Jones » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:40 pm

Evening again,
So pleased I have not been sent to the re-cycle bin, I shall try a little more ! The reference number on Ernest's Medal Index Card

L 102 B-14 page 3163 is a Worcestershire reference number. This sequence of numbers is entirely "Our" men. These Rolls are not on line and must be looked up at Kew. I am sure it will confirm Ernest was in the 2-7th Battalion.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby pippa » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:36 am

Hi Mike, I would never have been able to find this information myself thanks for this. He could only spent his time in the west riding reg doing his basic training before being transfered i wonder if this is why he was not at receptions given to local lads who had been prisoners or mentioned in papers and things or we've not found them.
If the Dardanelles had been evacuated why were they there in 1917.
Also i assume he continued till around 22 because he had to do his 4 years + 1 and not because he signed on again.
I did send off to the archives for a digital version of pg 3163 i am supposed to get it today hopefully. Pippa
pippa

Belgium

Postby Mike Jones » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:19 am

Morning Pippa,
You have had so much information lately, that you are on information overload. I am sure it was Ernest's "dry" sense of Yorkshire humour and his need to cover what was an awful battle, to slighly twist the true facts. Gallipoli Farm is in BELGIUM, near to Ypres. It can only be compared to your worst vision of Hell. It was the classic mud and blood everywhere. It does say the ground was littered with corpses and bits of. I have to say in amongst this Hell on Earth, the Germans at times showed great compassion to their British attackers. On page 285 of Captain Stacke's book it says "The Enemy, whose losses had naturally been much lighter than ours, were seen to rescue many of our wounded near their lines". Was this when Ernest was captured?
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby pippa » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:57 am

Hi Mike, Sorry i had no idea it was in Belgium, may be he was trying to throw people off the scent so he didn't have to talk about it. I know he could get very angry, yet i never witnessed this but he was in his 70's when i was born.Although as a child i know he had visited the graves in Belgium and there was some correspondence with someone there i remember a photo with white graves and them being with someone . Why he would tell my dad he was glad the turks didn't get him otherwise he'd have been dead i don't know another throw off the trail. Is the book still available it would be of use to the family. What you are coming up with sounds more probable at the back of my head i'm sure Ypres has been mentioned , you know kids in corners little pigs have big ears.
thanks again Pippa
pippa

archive information

Postby pippa » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:59 pm

Just heard from archives despite as much detail as possible inc page no they came up with nothing in the allotted time.
Spent the afternoon re interviewing all his children got no further.
uncle 1 said he told him nothing, refused he was born very soon after and thought it was too soon to talk.
Aunts both co -oberate dads version, adament.
He wasn,t supposed to be there he,d done his tour and should have gone home on leave, but someone went on compassionate leave so he had to stay. He was in the dardanelles and they were forward of the line in a pill box clearing it out, a message came through that they were about to be overrun and they had to make there own way back to lines, the lad behind grandad pushed past him and was shot as he went outside the germans came in and rounded the rest of them up. He was taken to germany. How it all fits together i don't know but he i supposed to have returned home found his girlfriend expecting not his and have rejoined and gone into the worcesters at that point ending up in Ireland in the Black and Tans. I have told them it doesn't seem to follow getting knowhere fast. At some point he was shot in the hand. Pippa
pippa

Next

Return to First World War