pte Ernest Hobson

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

March 1918

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:46 am

Evening Pippa,
Ady is a busy man, doing lots of digging on our behalf. I did know about the six men in Ernest's draft (To the Worcesters) who got killed in the 10th Battalion. I did not mention it as you were on information overload anyway. Also I dont think it is relative to our case. Time will tell though. The 100 men that came with Ernest went I am sure, ONLY to the 2-7th Bn.. Around late 1917 or more likely early 1918, some of those men got transferred from 2-7th to the 10th Bn. I think Ernest was already a prisoner of War by then. I plump for Ernest being captured at Gallipoli Farm in 1917 because of what he has said in the past. Including his mastering of the German Language. Had he been captured late March 1918, I dont think he would have had time to do it. So my conclusion is a mixture of fact and educated assumptions. I am very much interested in the outcome. The Medal Rolls will not only confirm Ernest's details but the other 100 men with him.

The 10th Battalion was near to Bapaume (The Somme region) on 22nd March 1918. The wrong place at the wrong time ! The Germans had launched a massive attack, which was very successful. Captain Stacke gives masses of details and maps. He does say that no figures are available for the losse of the 10th Bn. in this action. It was a disaster for us and I think the lack of figures was a cover up. He does state that of the three battalions in the brigade, they had 1900 men at the start and only 900 five days later. As I said though, I dont think Ernest was any part of this.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

No takers

Postby pippa » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi Mike,
How are you? Just a quick note, I have had no takers on the archives look up as yet, if you are still planning on going i would be great ful if you could have a look for me. If you need further details let me know.
I am still awaiting replies from the other organisations but these things take time. Hopefully the photos in a few days will give us some more information.
with regards Pippa
pippa

archives and photos

Postby pippa » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi,
I have just recieved an email from the regiment archives they tell me that they have found no information on Ernest at all and suggest i try Glasgow so am now back at square one.
Dad here and we are currently scanning the photos will upload at first opportunity. Pippa
pippa

kew look up

Postby pippa » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:01 pm

I have recieved information on Ernests medal roll. As follows,
2/5 WEST RIDING REGIMENT
2/7 WORCESTER REGIMENT
2/8 WORCESTER REGIMENT
A great acheivement by all involved, many thanks to Lars and especially Mike.
Thanks to Louis for adding grandad to POW list. will email camp booklet at first real free moment. with regards to all Pippa :D
pippa

Previous

Return to First World War