silver war badge list? (Is it complete)

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

silver war badge list? (Is it complete)

Postby beardie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:51 pm

hello all,
is it a full list?

i have swb issued to 361 c.s.m george peters of the (oldbury company) 7th worcesters. why cant i find it? am i being thick again?

he was a old terrior, discharged in 1916 aged 49!! he did not serve in france. his swb card and his pension papers are on ancestry. what am i doin wrong :oops:

thanks
beardie
steve beard
beardie

Missing Entries

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi Steve,
You are not being thick and I know you are not ! Unfortunately, there is a rather large blank bit in the middle of the Silver War badge List that Louis put into the Website's opening page. It is not Louis's fault, it was mine. From L-A- 1298 to L-A- 1821 we do not yet have the statistics. I intend to rectify this as soon as possible. I am going up to the National Archives and will get the missing details. So I assume that George Peters is in this missing sequence of numbers. There are about 500 men missing in total. The badges were all issued between April and Oct 1919. I know your man was discharged in 1916 but he must only have applied in 1919 for his badge. I could not find his Medal Index Card on Ancestry, am I being thick? I did find another George Peters, Number 438, also in the 1-7th.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby LarsA » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:39 pm

I have found that ANcestry once or twice plays up, so you don't find what's there. Next time it's there though. I typed Peters in surname, got the MICs, refined search with 361 for the reg. number and he showed up. He is on list T.L.491.
Regards,
Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Postby beardie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:43 pm

thanks mike for your reply and your work on swb list!

i have always been trouble :cry:

he did not serve outside the uk so was only entitled to swb. so no medal index card!

but ancestry has his swb card, like the national archive before them they have mixed up the medal index and silver war badge cards together!"

just type in george peters and 361 in regimental number and his swb should be top of the list!

i have dug out his papers!

his badge is confirmed on T L 491? (cavity punch through L)

his badge was issued 28 march 1917

on the same page is 775 sgt john harris of the 8th worcesters aged 41

thanks
steve
steve beard
beardie

Postby beardie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:48 pm

strange changed h o l e to cavity :o
steve beard
beardie

OOP'S

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:15 pm

Gentlemen,
we have a crisis. Bugger, the H O L E is bigger than I thought it was. I was having such a good day till Steve posted. I shall have to have that 2008 Star ReTurneD that I awarded you Steve. I dont have Mr. Harris either. I shall follow your instructions Lars but being as I am not too good on computers. I shall end up buying something I dont want on E.Bay again. As I understood it (Till about an hour ago) ALL Worcester medals began L or L.A. . Now we have a rogue T.L.. Bugger, bugger , bugger, add infinitum.
By the way Steve, Louis has a very clever bit of kit that changes certain words automatically and h o l e is one of them !
Depressed Mike
Last edited by Mike Jones on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby beardie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:37 pm

back to the ranks for me :(

even lost me l/cpl stripe :cry:

quick someone phone mike's mrs and tell her to put the lock on the knife drawer!!!

sorry mike :oops:
steve beard
beardie

Punishment

Postby Mike Jones » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:59 am

Morning All,
Steve you are confined to barracks until further notice. Also get yourself down to the cookhouse at the DOUBLE, you are spud bashing for a week, in your best kit ! Further punishments to follow.
There is hope of a reprieve though. If you, Lars or anyone can come up with the answer to my query, I may consider just a quick flogging with a Cat-o-Nine tails.
Seriously, lads, something is wrong or different with that T.L. reference number. I have spent 4 hours so far trying to find out whose reference number it is. You are both medals men and probably know each record office has its own letters. The Worcesters are in record district 7 which uses an "L" prefix. The only other one I know is T.P. used by the London record office. So who is T.L. ? The records of these men have not been missed by us, we simply dont know anything about them ! I have a lot of Family committments for the next few days, so cant give this any more time till then. So you and your "Oppo's" have a few days to come up with a get out of jail card Steve.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby beardie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:15 pm

contacted me n.a. researcher(paul baillie) to see if he can add anything!!
steve beard
beardie

Postby LarsA » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:10 pm

And I have tried the British Medal Forum, this is the suggestion I got there:

According to Williamson, the Worcestershire regiment was dealt with by the Warwick office and their prefix was L. Not quite sure what the extra T stands for, perhaps Territorial?

/Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Postby Mike Jones » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:04 am

Evening Lars,
I have typed all this out once already and it all got rejected. I am getting fed up with it. I definitely transgressed no rules.

The Silver War Badge you have of William Russell, has a reference number of L.3 . The Worcesters carried on with this sequence till January 1918, when they got to L.311.2. As a result of your suggestion I decided to look at the issue of Silver War Badges to Territorial Soldiers. I was surprised to find none were issued to Territorials in the L sequence till January 1918. This followed the introduction of Army Order 265 of 1917. This order covered the issue of the badge and had a few changes to the earlier version. It is reasonable to assume this new order allowed Territorial Soldiers to fall in Line with the Regulars. So it must also be assumed that all Silver War Badges issued to Territorial Soldiers prior to this will be in the sequence T.L.. This is a sequence I have never seen and knew nothing about. I will look them up at Kew the next time I go. I wonder how many men there are?
Regards Mike
P.S. Now finished. What can be in this posting that it all got rejected 1st time?
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Silver War Badge

Postby Alan Beardsmore » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi,
How can I find out about Sjt W Cutts* 1/7 Worcs Regt. Silver War Badge?

*No. 4340, 201845

His Medal card says 'SWB List LA\1827'

Yet he does not appear in the Alphabetical List.

Ta.
Alan.
Alan Beardsmore

Incomplete Silver War Badge List

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:42 am

Hello Alan,
Your first posting with us and you have exposed a tiny flaw (Well large crevasse) in our List. No, unfortunately our Silver War Badge list has many missing entries. I was breaking new ground indexing them all but about 800 men got missed. Of which your man, Sgt. William Cutts is one of them. I have to except the blame. If anyone wants to check I now know who most of the missing men are. All is not lost though, if you contact Regimental Archives at Norton Barracks, they do have the details of Sgt. Cutts SWB. For a £5 DONATION they will send you all his details. You can also contact one of many Medal researchers. They make a CHARGE of £5 but the Archives are a better home for your fiver.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Alan Beardsmore » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:37 pm

Mike!

Thanks. I have done what you suggested and will inform you when I have news.
Alan.
Alan Beardsmore

Return to First World War