james thomas pemberton

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

james thomas pemberton

Postby beardie » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:38 am

hello all,
5208 pte james thomas pemberton was discharged 23rd may 1914 after 16 years service. he was born in kingswinford near brierley hill

9730 pte james thomas pemberton 4th worcesters was killed 6 august 1915 at the vineyard, soldiers died lists his place of birth as brierley hill

could it be the same man?
steve beard
beardie

Mr. Pemberton

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:40 am

Morning Steve,
I think they are one and the same man. No definites mind, just pointers. If it is the same man he re-joined as a Special Reserve. The 9730 number was issued to the Special Reserves in Oct-Nov 1914. Which would fit with him going to Gallipoli rather than to France with the embarkation party. The only James Thomas Pemberton recorded as born between 1870 and 1903 within Worcestershire, Warwickshire and Staffordshire was recorded in the 3rd Quarter 1874 at Stourbridge. So there are not many candidates to consider. If you really want to know about this man get his death certificate. These "Special Provisions" certificates dont have as much detail as a normal death certificate but will have his age down. If he is under 30 years old it can NOT be the same man.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby beardie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:08 pm

hello mike,
thanks for the number information, his father/brother were living in the smethwick area at the time of the 01 census, so i might travel to lovely :shock: smethwick to check the paper of the time(smethwick telephone).

might wait until ancestry put up the service papers!!! but they are only up to h at the moment :(

if i get 2 fed up with waiting i will order the death cert.

thanks again
steve
steve beard
beardie

James Thomas Pemberton (5208 )

Postby Simon_Fielding » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:53 pm

Hi Steve -

These papers are on ancestry at the moment. let me know if you have problems accessing them.

Simon
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby beardie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:02 pm

hi simon,
thanks for the kind offer but i have acessed the pension papers on ancestry, i am just trying to confirm if it is the same man!

you got me worried for a sec, i had to check they had got to 'p' on the service papers! :lol:
steve beard
beardie

Postby Mike Jones » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:45 am

Morning Steve,
I have to admit I did not check the pension records till after Simon said James was in them. One James Pemberton was killed in 1915, the other left the army before the war began. So I reasoned (Wrongly) there would be no pension. It does show his declared birth to be Sept 1875 in Kingswinford. I am sure this is the same man born Sept 1874 in Stourbridge. About one in five men gave false details when joining the army. My own grandfather declared himself born in 1887 in Chatham. He was born 1888 in Gillingham. We can now work out if the James Pemberton 9730 Killed on Gallipoli was 39 to 41 years old, it is almost certainly the same man as James Pemberton 5208.

On another front, I dont think any more details will be added to Service record of James Pemberton 5208, than is already there in his pension record. Do you agree? What are the thoughts of other Forum members?
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby beardie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:10 am

morning mike,
the amount of information you can find on men is great! compared to the 80s when i started trying to research. im old enough to remember when the mics first came out! about 82 i think :oops:

its always best to check pension papers even if the man is killed!

example!!!

man on one of our local memorials, served in france. but was sent back home because of his work(war work!) in his pension papers has a claim from his widow in the 1917 for a pension after he had died at home. he is not listed on cwgc or soldiers died!

dont take to me about names :lol: had enough trouble finding samson gideon hill mm on the 01 census, but that is another story!(ok he swapped round his forenames when he enlisted aged 16!)

i am hopping that his service records(if they have survived!) confirm the number change. that will make me happy

thanks
steve
steve beard
beardie

Return to First World War