Pte William Bishop - Gallipoli casualty mystery

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pte William Bishop - Gallipoli casualty mystery

Postby Simon_Fielding » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:23 pm

I have a problem with my researches into the Bewdley war memorial, and I’d appreciate some professional help!

I have two men on Bewdley war memorial – both listed as Worcestershire Regiment casualties – Thomas Bishop and William Bishop, both Privates.

Thomas Bishop has proved fairly easy, as his papers are on Ancestry.co.uk: he died serving with the 9th Worcesters in Mesopotamia .

William Bishop is proving more of a problem. The CWGC and Soldiers Died don’t provide any soldiers with a Bewdley link. However, articles in the local paper , the Kidderminster Times describes the Bishop family four brothers serving. One is undoubtedly Thomas Bishop as described above, and one of the others is a William Bishop.

The articles clearly state that this William Bishop was killed in action at Gallipoli on 7th May 1915, serving with the Worcesters, on two occasions. However, I can’t find any William Bishop kia – on that date. There is one with the Gloucesters on the 6th, but he was born in Islington London – not impossible, seems unlikely. I’m fairly sure that the two men on the memorial are probably the two brothers Bishop – but where is he?

Any suggestions?
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby allanp » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi Simon

I have checked through my casualty list records of the Worcester Herald but I cannot find any reference to William. I have found 2 references to Thomas that you may be interested in.

Reported in the 3 March 1917 edition
9663 Pte T. Bishop - Bewdley - Wounded

Reported in the 24 March 1917 edition
9663 Pte T. Bishop - Bewdley - Died of Wounds

Hope this helps

Regards Allan
allanp

Thomas Bishop

Postby Simon_Fielding » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:29 pm

Thanks for those details Allan - they certainly fit with what I have already. There aren't any pictures in the Worcester Herald are there? Any other Bewdley references?

Cheers

Simon
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby allanp » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:41 am

Hi Simon

The Worcester Herald was a pictorial paper. There is a suppliement book which contains all the photographs from the paper which is held at the History Centre in Trinity St Worcester. You will need the names of the Lads you are looking for as they are only in date order. Its well worth a visit as there are lots of pictures of the Lads in Uniform. Unfortunatly they are not available on line.

Regards Allan
allanp

Postby Simon_Fielding » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:33 pm

Fantastic - thanks for the tip.
Simon_Fielding

Return to First World War