Brief Account of Dardanelles Experience by PTE in Worcesters

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Brief Account of Dardanelles Experience by PTE in Worcesters

Postby Mr Toucan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:00 pm

HI,

Whilst sorting through some family papers I came across a brief account (approx 4,00 words) of my Great Uncles experiences with the Worcestershire Regiment in the Dardanelles. I believe that he was a Private and would have been 25 or 26 in 1915. His name was Ben Rubery Ward.

I thought that this may be of some interest to the Regiment or to people researching the regiment. The copy I have is not (I assume) his original draft as it has been typed on paper that certainly doesn't seem old enough to have been around when he was alive (he died in 1923).

If anyone would be interested to see it or believes that the Regiment may be interested, please let me know.

James Flavell
Mr Toucan

Postby scully » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:06 pm

Hi James,

If you would like to email me a copy I will add it to a section on this website. Also if you have a photo of him that would also add more interest to his story.

You can email it to:
webmaster@worcestershireregiment.com

Regards

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Yes, Please.

Postby Mike Jones » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:34 am

Hello James,
Please send me a copy of Ben's notes. Personal views like this are just wonderful to researchers like myself. My E/Mail is mjonesgfc@aol.com. I have tried to look Ben up. There are two Benjamin Ward's in the Worcester Medal Rolls. Neither of them lists a middle initial. Benjamin Ward 23087 was definitely at Gallipoli, unfortunately he was killed there on the "blackest" day for the Regiment. On the 6th August 1915, just under 400 men were killed. The other Benjamin Ward survived the war but I cant get at his Medal Index Card to see if he was at Gallipoli.His number was 11526, meaning he was a pre-war Regular soldier. Do you know where your Ben was born, please?
Many thanks Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby LarsA » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:23 pm

Mike,
11526 is on ancestry as Ben Ward, he landed Gallipoli 25 april 1915 and later was discharged with a SWB.
Kind regards,
/Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Gallipoli

Postby Simon_Fielding » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:10 pm

I'd be really interested in this too.

Cheers

Simon F
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby Mr Toucan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm delighted that this is of interest to people. I only have a paper copy of it at the moment but I'm heading down to London tomorrow and will try to get it scanned. If I'm succesful, I'll email it to you all on my return on Thursday.

The link on Lars' message seems to make sense as on the first page Ben states that ??'We started from there late on the night of April 24th, 1915, heading for the Dardanelles. We had a peaceful journey until early on the moring of April 25th, when we were awakened by the sound of heavy gun fire.'?/?

After you've seen it, I'd really appreciate any comments and/or information you may have.

I believe that I may also have a photograph of him with my Grandfather in their uniforms. Grandad was in the King's Regiment I believe and may have been at Ypres. If I can find it I'll scan it and send it to you all.

Lastly, in answer to your question Mike, he was born in HAnley William near Tenbury Wells in Worcestershire in either 1890 or 1891, I'm currently trying to establish his exact birthdate. I definitely know that he died on 11th July 1923 and was buried at Hanley William churchyard. My sister seems to recall a conversation with his son who said that he suffered from Tuberculosis after the war and indeed his account states that he ended his time in the Dardanelles in hospital suffering from '?? (?) and dysentry'?/?

Anyway, I shall post again on my return.

James
Mr Toucan

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Morning All.
Thank you James for the extra information, I shall try to track Ben down a little further. Thank you also Lars (Again) for putting me right on Ben. The National Archives do not list any Ben's (All Benjamins)but Ancestry have eight cards with that name . First time I have known Ancestry to outdo the N.A.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Mr Toucan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay. I ended up having to buy a scanner which I'm sure will come in use for all sorts of things!

As I am fairly sure that the version I have is a later typed copy of the original, the copy I am emailing is one that I scanned, then used OCR software with so that it could be saved as a word document. I have tried to take out any mistakes that the OCR made but have left in anything that was on my document.

I know that I have a photo of him (I think it's him!) and will scan and send that when I find it.

Simon, you did not leave me your email; let me have it and I'll forward it to you as well.

Look forward to your comments,

James
Mr Toucan

email

Postby Simon_Fielding » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:57 pm

Hi there;

It's simonharveyfieldingATyahoo.co.uk with the AT replaced by a well known symbol!

Cheers

Simon
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby scully » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi all,

James has kindly sent me a copy which I will put on the website shortly.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby LarsA » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:21 pm

James,
thank you for sharing your great uncles story. Quite a read!
Kind regards
/Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Postby allanp » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi All.

Sorry I'm late comming in to this post.

I have found references to both of these men in the Worcester Herald.

19th June 1915 edition
11526 Pte B. Ward. was mentioned for good and gallant service on the 12th May 1915

18 September 1915 edition
23087 Pte B. Ward. Missing
30 October edition. Killed

Hope this helps

Regards Allan
allanp

Postby Mr Toucan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:40 pm

Hi,

It was a pleasure to be able to share his memories with you.

Unfortunately, contrary to my previous posting, I do not have a photograph of him (it was my grandfather with a friend in Belgium 1918 and not with Ben as I had thought.

Allan, would you have an image of the Worcester Post article or know where I could find one? It would be lovely to add it to the family documents that I am building up.

James
Mr Toucan

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:15 am

Morning James,
Have been checking on Pte. Ben Ward 11526 and some bits I cant find. He was born the first Quarter 1890. The reference if you want to order his birth certificate is, Tenbury, Volume 6C page 262.
He joined the Worcesters 3rd Dec 1908. He was discharged 11th Sept 1916 as a result of sickness. His father was Alfred and mother Alice. I have spent hours but cant find his death. The only Ben Ward to die in 1923 died in Nottingham. Do you know if Ben was at The Dehli Durbar in 1911?
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby allanp » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi James

If you can supply me with your email address I will send you a photo of the entry.

Regards Allan
allanp

Next

Return to First World War