Brief Account of Dardanelles Experience by PTE in Worcesters

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Postby Mr Toucan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

Allan - my email is james.flavell@btopenworld.com thanks for finding the entry, I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Mike - He died on July 7th 1923 and was buried at Hanley William Church - I will email you the memorial card. My sister has just given me an address for his son Stanley but we don't know if he is still there. If I get a reply from him with any details I will let you know.

Thanks again,

James
Mr Toucan

Postby Mr Toucan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:35 pm

Hi All,

I have spoken to Ben's son, Stanley, who is now 86 (he was 1 when his father died}. He has very little knowledge of his father as can easily be understood. However, he does have a picture of him in his uniform in hospital in England on his return from the frontline. A small interesting point is that in the photograph he is sat next to a soldier from the Essex Regiment. This would have been before his son Stanley was born. However, Stanley and his wife Bettine are both fairly certain that the man is none other than Bettine's father who was also in the Dardanelles with the Essex Regiment!

I will scan the photo and mail it to anyone who wishes to have it, when I receive it.

Mike you asked me if he was at the Delhi Durbar. I have no idea but in his account he says taht he had been in India, Burma and China, so perhaps he was there. Do you know why he might have been in Burma and China?

Lastly, Allan very kindly sent me a cutting from the Worcester Herald where Ben was mentioned for bravery (as per his account). It turns out that Allan's Great Uncle was also mentioned in the same cutting. If any of you would like to see it I will email it.

Thanks,

James
Mr Toucan

Re: Brief Account of Dardanelles Experience by PTE in Worces

Postby Gill14 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Hi James,

I am reserching my family history and am interested in the information you have on Ben Rubery Ward. Ben was one of my grandmother's brothers; my grandmother being Alexandra French, nee Ward. My grandmother married Sydney Edward French, who I understand was in the West Kent Regisment. They had one daughter, Dorothy Clara Joyce French.

As a child I used to visit my Aunty T (Tilly) who was Ben's wife and both her sons, Les and Bunts, and have until recently been in touch with Stanley (Uncle Bunts) and Bettine. They moved into a home last year and I don't think my mother, Stan's cousin, has their new address. My mother is also 86 and not too good on our family history. My mother says that she thinks Ben's mother Alice's maiden name was Rubery, but I have been unable to confirm any marriage; all I can find is reference to an Alice Ward, nee Rubery, at Moorfields Severn Terrance, Whitestones, Worcester, her father Luke Rubery, being the head of the family, which I hope is correct.

It would be lovely to receive all, or any information, articles, or pictures, you have on Ben or any other members of the family, in particular on his report of his time in the Dardanelles. I have visited Passiondale and Ypres and found it very moving.

Looking forward to your reply,
Best Regards

Gill Monday
(Gillian Lesley Monday)
Gill14

Postby scully » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi Gill,

You will find a copy of the report (notes) Ben Ward wrote on this website. If you look down the home page of this website (under the heading GALLIPOLI 1915 - Private Ben Wards Story) you will find a link to his story. I have also added some photos and maps to the story.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby smitd09 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi Gill

I have a photo taken last year of the Helles War Memorial in Gallipoli and the Worcester Regiment inscriptions including Ben Ward , I can send you a copy if you're interested
19739 Pte Fredrick Harrison 4th Bat. Gallipoli 1915
smitd09

Postby scully » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi smitd09,

If you would like to send a copy of the photo you took of Helles War Memorial in Gallipoli and the Worcester Regiment inscriptions you can email it to the webmaster:
webmaster@WorcestershireRegiment.com

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Gill14 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:36 pm

smitd09 wrote:
> Hi Gill
>
> I have a photo taken last year of the Helles War Memorial in Gallipoli and
> the Worcester Regiment inscriptions including Ben Ward , I can send you a
> copy if you're interested

Hi smitd09

I would very much like a copy of the photograph of the Helles War Memorial with Ben Ward's name on it and then I'll forward a copy to the webmaster for information.

Regards Gill
Gill14

Postby smitd09 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Gill

I'll need your email address, mine is thirdkrithia@googlemail.co.uk
Ben fell on the same day my Grandfather was wounded, 6 August 1915, I have some pictuers of the Gallipoli area now known as Worcester Hill, as well as the two landing beaches the 4th Worcesters were dropped off at. I'll find those out too for you

David
19739 Pte Fredrick Harrison 4th Bat. Gallipoli 1915
smitd09

Previous

Return to First World War