4th Bn Harry Jones

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Private Harry Jones - 4th Bn

Postby Jan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi Mike
Many thanks for this information and I look forward to hearing from you if you manage to find the exact date on the drafting.
I have just returned from the Somme, visiting Harry's grave at Tincourt. It was a very emotional and eye opening experience (and very muddy too!). We also visited some other cemeteries including Sunken Lane cemetery at Marcoing. I am even more interested in gathering more information of Harry now.

Jan
Jan
Jan

Postby Mike Jones » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:44 am

Morning Jan,
Good on you, for visiting the men. I am sure these men do know it. Did you have any feelings of warmth as you got into the area? It is a long story (About visiting my grandfather) but for some years (Due to someone else) I was visiting the wrong location. It always felt wrong. Some years later I discovered where he really was. The feeling was completely different.
Do you have access to Ancestry? You could do the required research and help me out as well. Finding out their date not only gives us Harry's date of drafting but 110 other men as well. Also narrows down the groups of men either side of them.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Harry George James Jones 4 BN 41519

Postby Jan » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:57 pm

Please tell me where I should look on Ancestry and I will see what I can find. Also can anyone tell me whether the service records are in any particular order - have spent hours looking under Jones but can't find any Harry Jones. Thanks

Jan
Jan
Jan

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:41 am

Hi Jan,
That is music to my ears and would be a great help. I have so many projects on at the moment. Ancestry has a lot of critics, I am not one of them. They have made a lot of information available, that was not within reach of most of us. The indexing of the information is flawed though ! If you put in Harry Jones, Worcestershire Regiment, it comes up with Zero. Put in just Harry Jones and there are 387 sets of Service Records. There are 164 sets of Pension Records. There are too many to wade through. One thing to narrow it down a bit, most have a year of birth listed. When you open a set of documents, they do have Regiments, numbers and addresses. To get the date of drafting, you could also check on one of the other 110 other men that transferred with him. Pick an unusual surname, this will have less possibles. Any more help or advice please E/mail me.
Best Regards Mike
Edit. Jan, I forgot to say that there are no service records yet for men whose surname begins P through to Z. Ancestry have not done them yet. Also you must allow a year or two either side of Harry's known birthday.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Harry George James Jones ??

Postby Jan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:17 pm

Still trying to find out more about Harry Jones. I have a photo of my Grandmother with a soldier and am not sure if it is Harry Jones or my second grandfather (complicated). The photo is obviously old - can I PlumPudding this somehow to see if anyone out there can recognise the uniform?
Regards Jan
Jan
Jan

Postby scully » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi Jan,

You can PlumPudding the photo to the webmaster at
webmaster@worcestershireregiment.com
and then it can be added to the PHOTOS section of the website.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Pte Harry Jones ??

Postby Jan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:38 am

The Webmaster has very kindly posted a photo on the Photos of my Grandmother with a soldier. I can see she has a ring on her finger - what I don't know is whether this is Harry Jones (her first husband) or whether it is her second husband who was a bus inspector when they got married and he was 35 years old. Harry was 21 - it is difficult to tell whether this soldier is 35 or 21. Harry I know was in the 4th Bn Worcs Regiment. No one in the family seems to have any other early photos. If anyone can shed any light on this soldier, maybe from his uniform - I would be more than grateful.

Thanks

Jan
Jan
Jan

Postby LarsA » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:12 pm

I'd say he is more likely to be 21 than 35 after looking at the photo.

Perhaps someone else would like to venture an opinion aswell?
/Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Previous

Return to First World War