Private Ernest E Jarvis

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Private Ernest E Jarvis

Postby Jackie » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:19 pm

Private Jarvis is listed on the War Memorials in Upton upon Severn.

I have a copy of his Medal Card listing him as

11/Worc.R Regtl. No 16465
(1) France
22-9-15

But that's all the information I can find.

Can anyone help me find more information on Pte Jarvis please?

Thanks

Jackie
Jackie

Postby scully » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:37 am

Hi Jackie,

If you also look at his Medal Index Card you will see a reference to "Class Z A.R" - This would suggest he survived the war, is that so?
This means that he was eventually discharged to Class Z Army Reserve.

Class Z Reserve was authorised by an Army Order of 3rd December 1918. At the end of the First World War there were fears that Germany would not fully accept the terms of any peace treaty and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of any resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve "for the duration", were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31st March 1920.

You will see from his Medal Card that he had joined the 11th Battalion and went with them to France on the 22-9-1915. If you look at the section on the 11th Battalion on this website you will find some information about what they did. They did not see much fighting in France as the 11th Battalion was shipped to Salonika on the 24th November 1915.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby Jackie » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:21 pm

Hi Louis

Pte Jarvis is on the Roll of Honour outside our Memorial Hall, and on the Memorial within the Parish Church, both of which have 1914-1918 on them, so if he survived the war why would he be mentioned?

Regards

Jackie
Jackie

Postby scully » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:31 am

Hi Jackie,

This is a strange one.

His name and number are not on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website as a soldier who died during the war years.
There is also no record of his death on the Worcestershire Regiment roll of honour on this site.
There is no mention of him his death on his Medal Index Card.
I could also find no record of his death in the General Register Office Records.

Do you know the date he died? Do you have a copy his death certificate?

It has been known for mistakes to be made on War Memorials. Also it could be possible that he just went missing!

Sugggest you check for more information about him with family members,

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby Jackie » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi Louis

I don't know anything about him other than the entry on the Memorials.

I'll ask around and see if anyone knows of his family.

Thanks

Jackie
Jackie

Postby Jackie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:17 am

We have copies of the Upton upon Severn News in the library, and each week they published a list of men from Upton, and surrounding villages, serving in the War.

Pte Jarvis is not mentioned there either.

A local historian is now interested in the subject

Jackie
Jackie

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:19 am

Morning Jackie,
I admire your stubbornness in resolving this problem and would like to help. How do you know your Ernest E. Jarvis was a Worcestershire Regiment soldier? There were six Ernest E. Jarvis in the British Army. In all the memorial work I have been involved in, one in ten of the names involved, cannot be determined for definite. One in 20 can't even be traced at all (On average)!
Men did not need a birth certificate (Or anything else, for that matter) to join unless they declared themselves to be under 18 years old. One in eight men used false details or changed a name they did not like. Makes your work very dificult.
Out of interest, does the Memorial contain the name of Vincent Mark Jarvis? He was born in Upton in 1894 and was still living there in 1901. He was killed as a Worcestershire Regiment Soldier in 1915. In 1920 his parents James and Ellen were living in Hanley Castle.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:22 pm

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. The determination of Jackie to solve the mystery appears to have gone. The trouble is, I have now become interested in the War Memorial at Upton-on-Severn. Of the 19 men in Soldiers Died in Great War, who declared themselves to be born there (Also resident when they enlisted), 16 of them joined the Worcesters. What Loyalty to the Regiment. How many of them are listed on the Memorial? Any one live nearby and can send me a list, please? Two of the three not to join us were (I think) brothers. Jim Pumfrey (Born 1888) and Tom Pumfrey (Born 1891). Brothers or not, they both died together on 28th October 1914. Neither has a known grave.Are they on the memorial?
Thanks in anticipation Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Kevin Lynott » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:13 pm

Mike,

hopefully the following link will take you to a list of the names on the Upton Upon Severn memorials
www.smilodon.plus.com(forward slash)WarMems(forward slash)uptononsevern.htm

Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:41 am

Morning Kevin,
Thank you very much for your help and courtesy in answering me (Nudge, nudge, nod and a wink) . I see you were the one to do the work in transcribing the Community Centre Roll of Honour, well done. I have printed out the lists and am in the process of comparing them. I see already that the Rolls of Honour, whilst similar are not the same. For instance T. Pumfrey is on the Church Roll of Honour but not the Community Centre Roll of Honour. Vincent Jarvis is on both Rolls. Is Edward Hedges (Church Roll) the same man as Ernest Hedges (Community Roll) ? The old story, answer one question and another ten crop up.
Many thanks Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Kevin Lynott » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:02 pm

Mike,
the first rule of memorial research-assume nothing!!!!, not even that the initals are correct or the right way around from the details you have already established od SD or the CWGC. Good luck!
Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Postby Jackie » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:28 pm

Mike, I'm still here! I've been looking up other names that do not have information on them at www.roll-of-honour.com slash Worcestershire slash UptonUponSevern.html and have found information on quite a few of them.

Jim Pumfrey and Tom Pumfrey are Remembered with Honour on Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial. Both are on the Memorials outside the Memorial Hall, and the Memorial stone inside the Parish Church. There is another Pumfrey, Charles, that I have yet to look for. Jim & Tom joined the South Staffordshire Regiment. We have the notice from the local paper about their deaths.

Most names are on both rolls, a few only on one or the other.

Vincent Mark Jarvis is on both rolls.

We are hoping to fill in all the gaps.

Jackie
Jackie

Postby scully » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:43 pm

Following Message posted for Jackie by the webmaster:

We're now wondering if we should be searching for Ernest E Jarvis.

The Upton upon Severn News Roll of Honour listed all servicemen in Upton and the surrounding area.

There is an entry - Jarvis, J. Royal Field Artillery.

In an article about the Memorial to be placed in the Parish Church, one of the names listed is John H Jarvis.

On the Memorial, as we know, Ernest E Jarvis appears.

I'm going to see if I can find out why the name was changed.

Jackie
scully
Site Admin

Postby Jackie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:18 pm

We have found this from the Roll of Honour at The Hook Church, Upton upon Severn:

Pte Ernest Edward Jarvis, 2nd Bn. Worc. Regt. Fell, Mons 1914 aged 37

Does this mean that the Medal Roll card mentioned in my first post is not his?

Could he have been a regular soldier? We can find nothing else about him.

I'm pleased to say that we have identified all the names on the Upton upon Severn Roll of Honour that have 'No further information currently' against them. Some are extremely obscure!

Jackie
Jackie

Return to First World War