Pte Jack Gardner 201902

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pte Jack Gardner 201902

Postby clayton » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:01 pm

I'm researching our family history and would like to know more about the military service of Pte Jack Gardner 201902 who served with the 10th Batt (although the cwgc have him listed as 16th Batt)

I'd be greatful for any information regarding his service, where he was posted, any battles fought and of course any information around his death on 22nd March 1918

Many thanks in advance
clayton

Postby Kevin Lynott » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:27 pm

The 21st March 1918 was the opening day of the Germans first offensive in 1918. 57th Brig (of which 10th Worcs were part)were out of the line. At 3pm the Brig, a company of tanks together with artillery reserves were sent as reinforcements to 51st Div which was located astride the Bapaume to Cambrai Road and under great pressure. The 10th Worcs and 8th Glos together with 12 tanks of 8th Tank Bn were deployed to retake the village of Doignies. Due to the fact it was detached from the rest of the Div, artillery support was difficult to arrange. It was late in the day and the Corps commander ordered the attack cancelled, however the order never reached the attacking units and at 6:40pm the attacking formation moved forward from south west of Doignies over a distance of 2000 yards with the 10th Worcs on the left. By the time the outskirts of the village were reached light was fading and the tanks which could not operate in the dark withdrew. Heavy casualties were sustained and the Worcs dug in on the Doignies to Beaumetz Road.
Throughout the 22nd March 1918 the 10th Worcs held its position on the Beaumetz to Doignies Road under heavy German artillery fire and probes by German infantry into their position.

I hope this helps
Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Postby scully » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Hi,

It would appear that Private Jack Gardner may have served with the Worcestershire Regiment before WW1. His Medal Index Card shows two numbers. The first number is 4421 and the later army number was changed to 201902.

He did serve with the 10th Battalion (the reference to the 16th on the CWGC website is an error which you may wish to bring to their attention).
There are quite a few errors on the CWGC website and they are aware of that. I think they try to correct as many as they can but it is a long process.

On the 22nd March 1918 the 10th Battalion were holding a position in a sunken road between the villages of Beaumetz and Doignies. The 10th Battalion had 47 men killed (which included 1 officer) on the 22nd March 1918. Three times the Germans attacked but the Worcesters held their postion.

Hope this helps a little,

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby allanp » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi Clayton

I have a reference in the 5th August 1916 edition of the Worcester Herald of a 4421 Pte Gardner from Oxford Wounded.

Regards Allan
allanp

Pte Jack Gardner 201902

Postby clayton » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:55 pm

Many thanks for all your prompt responses, this is all very interesting

I have as you've suggested contacted cwgc regarding the error in Battalion.

Does anybody know why a second service number would've been issued, was this normal then ?

Also I dont suppose anybody has anymore information regarding the wounding in 1916 ?

Regards
Clayton
clayton

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:49 pm

Hello Clayton,
By an Army Order of 1916, ALL Territorial Battalions in the British Army got re-numbered. THE ACTUAL CHANGE OF NUMBER WAS IN EARLY 1917. There were just too many similar numbers and it caused a lot of confusion. Though Jack died in the 10th Bn. (Not a Territorial Bn.) he joined the 7th (Territorial) Bn. and got the number 4421.. Arthur Thomas joined the 8th (Territorial) Bn. and got 4421.. As men moved battalions, the same numbers ended up in the same battalions. The odds are against it but it happened. In the Worcesters, three different men with the same surname ended up with the same number! You can imagine the mistakes that could and did happen. Anyhow, all men in the 7th Bn. got new numbers beginnining 20**** and men in the 8th got 24****.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Return to First World War