George Greaves, 35921.

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

George Greaves, 35921.

Postby Dennis Neale » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:54 pm

I have one of my Grandfathers Medals, it is Stamped Worc Reg, but unfortunatly, not which one. I cannot find any service records, ( I presume that they were amongst those lost in a fire during the last War ), and I am keen to find out more. I recently read, that a local Soldier, on his way to being posted to France, in 1915, came across a bunch of Lads from Halesowen, putting in pipework, at a Camp in Wiltshire. Would this have been the 14th, ( Seven Valley Pioneers ), and was my Grandfather, amongst them. Any help, greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis.
Dennis Neale

number

Postby CPLCLIVE » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:49 am

Hi Dennis
Do yo have your grandfthers number? this is the main item in efforts to trace information on him. I am afraid that I know little about Regimental numbers and unfortunately our own numbers expert has just taken early retirement so to speak, so if you do not have any favourable response from this Forum then may I suggest that you contact RHQ at Norton Barracks Worcester giving them all information that you have they will require a fee of £12 you can do this from a section from the bottom of the page on the opening page of this web site.
May I wish you the best of luck and a MerryChristmas and a Happy New Year
Clive
CPLCLIVE

George Greaves, 35921.

Postby Dennis Neale » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:04 pm

Thank you Clive, both for your rsponse, and the greetings, the same to you and yours. His name and number are the subject heading, George Greaves, and the numer 35921, sorry for not making it clear. Fairly new to this Computer lark, and to online research. Thank you for the information so far. I have an interest in the 14th Battalion, as most of Grandfathers ex-comrades, all worked at Coombes Wood Tube works, in Halesowen, and from my recollections, most of them were all in the same unit. The question is however, was it the 14th?

Regards, Dennis.
Dennis Neale

Postby scully » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi Dennis,

The Medal Index Card for Private George Greaves shows he was first with the Worcestershire Regiment (army number 35921) he later was transferred to the Labour Corps and his number changed to 415310.

The Medal Roll which is held at the National Archives at Kew may show you which Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment he served in.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby Dennis Neale » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:24 pm

Thank you Louis, much appreciated, sadly I am not able to go to Kew, not as mobile as I used to be. Still, I now know, thanks to the help on this site, that the information is available. Compliments of the Season to you and yours.

Regards, Dennis.
Dennis Neale

Re: George Greaves, 35921.

Postby mgreaves » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:56 am

Hi Dennis
I am researching the Greaves family tree. Though this post is 8 years Old. I recently came across George Greaves (Great Grand Uncle). Can you confirm his parents for me please? And if you have any other information it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
mgreaves

Return to First World War