Soldier of the 4th Battalion

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Soldier of the 4th Battalion

Postby Jamie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi

I'm trying to find information on a soldier of the 4th Battalion.

Private Joseph Raybould
No 16432
Died in Gallipoli Aug 1915

He was born in Dudley. Aged 32 when he died. Married with 2 children.

He was my grandfather's uncle. That's about all I know.
Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks Jamie
Jamie

Postby LarsA » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi, I looked at his Medal Index Card on Ancestry, and it shows he landed on the first day of the Gallipoli Campaign along with the rest of the 4th battalion. If you click history in the top menu, and then Gallipoli you will find some information on what they were doing, also on battalions and choosing 4th will give some additional information.

He was entitled to a 1914-15 star, War Medal and Victory Medal.
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Postby Kevin Lynott » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:47 pm

Jamie,
Joseph RAYBOULD was KIA on 6th August 1915
On the 6th August 1915 the 4th Bn Worcs Reg lost 359 men KIA plus 2 officers KIA, in the following action.
It was considered necessary to level out a Turkish salient astride the Kirte Dere which was protruding into the British lines. In order to provide sufficient artillery support the 88th Brig of which the 4th Worcs were part was designated to carry out the attack to the north of the salient on the evening of the 6th and 125th and 127th Brigs to carry out the attack to the south of the salient on the morning of the 7th. The Worcs were given a minor role on the right of the Brigs attack to take the enemy trench H13. However their attack would mean them crossing 300 yards of open ground whilst under enfiladed fire from both flanks. The 1st- 5th Manchesters were allocated to support their right flank by attacking two small Turkish positions called H11a and H11b. The naval preliminary bomardment began at 2:20pm joined an hour later by the field artillery and machine guns. The infantry went forward at 3:50pm, the Turkish strength had been totally miscalculated and within minutes, the 88th Brig attack had failed due to the withering machine gun fire from the front and both flanks. Thirty of the Worcesters succeeded in reaching the enemy's trenches and held out until nightfall under the command of a sergeant when twelve survivors withdrew to the British lines.
The figure of 361 KIA is staggering, the 10th Bn WYorks is acknowledged as having the highest total of casualties on the 1st July 1916 the opening day of the battle of the Somme of which 297 other ranks and 9 officers were KIA out of a total of 710 casualties. The 4th Worcesters may bear the unfortunate accolade of having had the most men KIA in action in a single day.

Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Postby Jamie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi Kevin and LarsA

Thanks for the information. Found the Medal Card on Ancestry.
Don't know what some of the abbreviations mean. Also mentions at the bottom first theatre of war 'Balkans'. Does this just mean the Dardanelle campaign in general?
I've tried searching for military records on Ancestry but comes up with nothing. I have read that a lot of records we destroyed in the Blitz! Is this right or is there somewhere else I can look for military records. I don't know if Joseph Raybould signed up when war started or was a pre-war regular.

Thanks Jamie
Jamie

Postby allanp » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi Jamie

I have found a reference to 16432 Pte J. Raybould 4th Battalion in the Worcester Herald.

Reported as Missing in the 18th September 1915 edition along with 233 others. I have also a report of "Previously reported missing, now reported killed" in the 11th March 1916 edition along with 323 others.

Regards Allan
allanp

Postby Kevin Lynott » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:32 pm

Jamie,

The service records that are available are being scanned in by letter and I think that they have reached the letter N so far.

I would hazard a guess that Joseph RAYBOULD was a pre-war regular and may have been serving at the outbreak of the war because the 4th Bn was in Burma at the outbreak and the recalled reservists were probably allocated to the 2nd and 3rd Bns which went to France on the 13th and 16th August 1914, thereafter regular drafts of reservists were sent out to replace the mounting casualties.
The 4th Bn did not return to England until 2nd February 1915 were it was allocated to the 88th Brig of the newly formed 29th Div. The Division embarked at Avonmouth between the 16th and 22nd March and sailed to Alexandria.
Kevin Lynott

Return to First World War