36064 Pte. Fred Detheridge

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Postby Mark Chandler » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi.
Many thanks for the brilliant website on the Regiment, and thanks to those who take the time to administer and moderate this Forum.
As with most new members, can I begin with a question, please?
It concerns my Grandfather, 36064 Pte. Fred Detheridge, who served firstly with 4th Btn from December 1916 until wounded in May 1917.
He was back in Blighty until August of that year, then went to 3rd Btn for a very brief time before joining 1/8th Btn in time for Poelcappelle, etc. With them he went to Italy, and there lost his left leg, leaving for home on 5th June 1918.
I do have his Siver War Badge, No. B.37585 and wondered if this could be the key to further information regarding his service? I can see from reading the Forum that this can be the case, and would be very much obliged if anyone can help.
I have little to offer in return, other than I do have a copy of Capt. Stacke's monumental Regimental History, although I'm sure many others have that too. Also, a copy of RQMS Corbett's brilliant account of the 1/8th Btn in the war.
This is a lot smaller than the Stacke opus, and if anyone needed it scanning on to a disc, it would be my pleasure to assist.
Many thanks again.
Mark Chandler

Postby scully » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi Mark,

His Medal index Card show the reference to the Silver War Badge list as:
L.A.822.
Also in the remarks section of the card there is a date of 14th July 1921.

If you have a photo of your grandfather, and can email me a copy, I would be glad to add it to the website.

I have sent you an email.

Best regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Mark Chandler » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:24 pm

Hello Louis,
Very many thanks for your kind reply to my question regarding my grandfather.
I am amazed you have something on him!!
Please see the e-mail I am about to write to you.
Kind Regards,
Mark.
Mark Chandler

Postby Mark Chandler » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:48 pm

Hi Louis,
Can't send an e-mail to you personally - thought I could!
Firstly, I am surprised to learn that you do all this alone and unfunded! You must have a really deep personal reason to do this and I repeat my thanks already expressed.
It will be a pleasure to send you a CD-ROM copy of RQMS Corbett's book on the 1/8th Btn. Just let me know where to send it, and I will do it tomorrow & post Monday. Just glad I can do something in return!
I learned only the other day from my Mother that my Grandmother, at the time of a family move in 1944, decided that the only photograph of my Grandfather in uniform was surplus to requirements and threw it away!!
I loved her dearly, but now understand why she always became evasive when I asked her if there was such a photo hidden away somewhere!!!
My Mother did try to stop her, but she said that they needed to have a clear-out before they moved. Fine, but the house they moved into was three times the size of the one they left!! Mad.
I would really appreciate a copy of his Medal Index Card, and if you do ever discover anything further, I would be delighted.
Many Thanks again,
Kindest Regards,
Mark.
Mark Chandler

Postby scully » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the additional information.

As you seem to have received my email OK I will email you a copy of his Medal Index Card.

I will also send you my contact details so you can post the CD ROM to me.

As you seem unable to reply to me by email (dont know why you are having problems - could be the way your email account is set up), you can confirm here in the forum that you have received my email and contact details. Also let me know that you received the Medal Card I will email you.

Best regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Mark Chandler » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:09 am

Hi Louis,
You are probably right about the way my e-mail account is set up. Yes, received Medal Card OK and thank you very much for sending it. As I said, amazing!
Destination for CD-ROM noted - of course you must protect sensitive personal details.
Will scan it tomorrow and send Monday as promised.
I can't thank you enough!
Kindest Regards,
Mark.
Mark Chandler

Postby scully » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:14 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply - glad you received it OK. I just happen to be online when you posted your message.

If I find out any more about your grandfather I will let you know.

Did he have any brothers as I have come across others with the same surname? If he did let me have their first names and I will check for information.

All the best.

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:56 am

Hi Mark,

Have sent you another email with some more information about Fred Detheridge. It looks like he was discharged on the 31st July 1917.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Return to First World War